Malta calling

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
More on the " B " Rapide mentioned in earlier threads.

I phoned Bill Kind on Saturday evening and asked a few questions.

Yes he did buy it from a British serviceman who was returning home after his term in Malta. The records should show that it was originally exported to Mr. Carmelo Tanti, The Strand, Gzira, Malta, who was the official H R D / Vincent distributor in Malta.

Yes he did sell it to a Scottish doctor some time in the 60s. Does anybody know who this doctor might be?

From that point on Bill just remembers having met the doctor some years later, who told him he had sold it in Canada.

I have just found a photo album Bill gave me when he sold me his " B " Meteor in the early 80s, and therein are a couple of pics of the " B " Rapide in question. I will try putting them up here, and will also put them on the VOC page in Facebook.

There are 2 Rapides in these 2 pics. Bills bike is the one without a front number plate, the first bike on the left hand pic, and the 6th bike in the second pic.

IMG_0004.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Whilst on the subject of Vincents in Malta, here are a couple more interesting pics.

The first pic is Albert Jackson's " B " Rapide. It's clearly a " B " from the HRD on the timing cover, and the forks, but Albert has shortened the rear mudguard, added front hydraulic dampers, and fitted a Shadow speedo. The nickel plated hand grips were all made at H. M. Malta Dockyard, where I believe people like Albert used to work.

The second pic is Bill Kind, this time riding a " B " Shadow. I believe both Albert's Rapide and Bill's Shadow ended up in Australia.

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0001.jpg

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Welcome to the Club, Joe,
do you remember a young Vincent-enthousiast by the name of Michael with his blonde girl friend by the name of Christine, who had 2 beautifully big eyes?
Guess it was 1985, or so, when we were driving our rented car when you came in opposite traffic with two other motorcycles. As I had recocnized a Vincent amongst them, I initiated a 180, which left some rubber on the road surface but got you and spent some nice hours with you.
I still have your transfer of the CVC (Collectors Vehicle Club Malta) on my adress box on the office table.
If you are checking the idea of initiating a rally at Malta, put my name on yr list, pls. Regrettably, I cannot bring the lady again, but I think, you don´t
mind, do you?
All the best!:)

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That's going back a few years Michael. The 3 clubs that formed the CVC had agreed to split a short while later, when I helped form the HMC (Historic Motorcycle Club) for the motorcyclists among CVC members. That was 1989. The HMC is still going strong though, having always been a purist, or an old fuddy duddy if you like, I'm not too keen on seeing so many Hondas etc on club runs. I managed to keep it to Pre 65 when I was chairing the club, but I suppose an 80s Honda is old to a 20 year old.

I do however have a modern bike, a 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300 which my wife and I ride regularly and tour in Italy with.

The HRD is also used regularly as are my 1928 and 1934 Triumphs. Apart from the Milano Taranto Rally in 1992, I have done the last 3 editions of the Giro di Sicilia with it - 1200 kilometres of Sicilian mountain roads and plenty of good food and company - all on the Meteor.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Please forgive typos. I'm writing with just left hand as I have just had right hand operated - too much use of throttle !!!

The "B" Rapide you mention was also Bill Kind's. He had bought it from a British serviceman in the late 50s and eventually sold it in Scotland. I had a BSA Golden Flash at the time and he offered me a straight swap, since the BSA had swinging arm suspension and would be more comfortable for his pilliuon partner. Muggins here refused to take an old heap in exchange !!! Much later I bought the "B" Meteor I still own, from Bill.

I probably have some pics of that Rapide.

Re Malta rally, August would be impossibly hot. We did organise a small rally last May and had quite a few Italians. I did this year's Irish rally on my 1934 Triumph, and there were 3 HRD's / Vincents on the Giro di Sicilia this year - Tony Cassar's 50 Rapide C, Dr. Claudio Femiano's C Comet, and my 48 B Meteor. I don't know of any plans for a repeat this year, but you never know. I will keep you posted.

It sounds likely then that Bill Kind's Rapide is the one I have here (engine #38) According to the records, only two b Rapides went to Malta, so the odds are 50/50 right there. On top of that the likelihood that both went back to Scotland is pretty remote, so I think this must be the one.

Glen