Misc: Ignition Magneto

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Magnetoman recommends the Vishay 0,082 mikro Farad AC BFC 238 320 823 . I repaired an instrument with these some years ago but I forgot which capacitor it was. A pair of these fit very nicely in the cap of the rotor.Erik

oexing

VOC Member
Well, I did a quick Google about Vishay and found no detailed specifications of these, same basic type of capacitor like the WIMA MKP . So I will stay with the WIMA and not the copy from Vishay. Also I want the AC voltage specification in our case and Vishay don´t show that. The DC voltage is not a matter in our application and useless for selecting a type. So again, WIMA is the safer bet and I think a single capacitor with 0,1 myF or 0,2 myF would be easier to glue into the armature ?? In case you like more info about WIMA Google got a lot and they have a type of these capacitors with even higher specifications about AC tolerance but you have to keep within a certain size to fit in the mag.

Vic

Magnetoman

VOC Member
More, possibly, than you want to know:

I wrote that detailed thread to avoid having to write the same information over and over again. Listen to someone's advice to use a capacitor other than the ones I recommend in that thread, based on extensive tests, at your peril.

Morts

Forum User
VOC Member
I lost my condenser on a run and changed to a bright spark condenser and bought another to pop in the tool case incase it ever happens again. Its been really reliable and no issues.

erik

VOC Member
With the bright spark capacitor I noticed a light spark at the points .It should be really dark to see it !And that is not good.My experience.The bright spark capacitor is physically to small to have the capacity.

erik

VOC Member
My Comet.Try your Mmagneto a on the workbench in the real dark and look at the points. Then you know.I did more than 20000 kkm with my Comet in the last six years.

erik

VOC Member
Did we met us there?

Attachments

• Orkney 134.JPG
    Orkney 134.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 26

oexing

VOC Member
Erik, I support your verdict about fancy caps in magnetos. Like you I cannot see how these cool caps can handle high AC voltage from magneto applications, the size is just too small. Allright, with very poor - ahmm Lucas magnetos - they may have no short time problem but we want fat sparks from decent coils , so then there will be substantial AC spikes in a coil-capacitor circuit.
MM has not tested WIMA caps but that does not mean they would not be up to the job. The MKP10 series is just the best type I believe and WIMA do them for 50 years , so they know their business - and their products are locally produced all that time and no imports from Asia. So I put my faith into these for reliable specifications.
There seem to be lots of reports about poor performances from modern typical capacitors made for classics, bike or car, so I will replace most of them for the MKP10 types, as I can see specifications printed on them - unlike classics which just say Bosch 0.22myF at best.

Vic
P.S. I do tests in the oven at 70 degrees C and 5 hours for checking performance at higher temperatures. No great idea just to spin the mag by hand for sparks while in cold state.

P1050315  kkk.jpg