Misc: Ignition Magneto Pickups

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Could someone please post a picture of a mag that has the standard pickups on it. Mine seem long and the Mag Cowl does not seem to fit properly, the bottom pick up sits to far forward. It interferes with the cowl and high tension lead.

If any knows the model number for the lucas pick ups that would be very helpful.

Best,

Gene.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
It is a long time since I used a standard Lucas KVF 50 magneto, but I seem to remember I had to shorten the plastic acorn thumbnut that screws into the pick up brush holder, so instead of having the full length acorn you just leave enough of the plastic with the serrated edge to tighten the HT lead into the pick, even then the HT lead will need to be at a right angle where it leaves the pick up, all from memory, a bit hazy so might not be 100% accurate, but if that doesn't work I don't where you will go from there.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
There are two lengths of h- t screws. the longer are intended for ignition coils, the shorter for distributor caps and h-t pickups.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi,

Could someone please post a picture of a mag that has the standard pickups on it. Mine seem long and the Mag Cowl does not seem to fit properly, the bottom pick up sits to far forward. It interferes with the cowl and high tension lead.

If any knows the model number for the lucas pick ups that would be very helpful.

Best,

Gene.
twin or single?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
HT Leads.jpg

highbury731

VOC Member
My bike last ran in 1960, or thereabouts. I have the spark plug leads with the 'acorn' nuts, and neither is modified.
If clearance really is an issue, and the HT lead has to bend VERY soon, how about filing a slot in the side of the plastic acorn nut? That way the HT lead can bend as needed, but retain the rest of the part.
Paul