Misc: Ignition Lucas KVF Rebuild - UK Recommendations?

Meekey675

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My New Year's resolution is to have my KVF Magneto rebuilt. After toying with buying a BTH magneto, or converting to electronic ignition, I've decided to continue with the current setup. Seems like a fiddly job to do by oneself, so I don't mind paying someone to do a good job.

A quick search on Google finds "the magneto guys", and "Rutland dynamos and magnetos".

I was just wondering if anybody on here has had any mags rebuilt, and if they would have any recommendations for services in the UK?

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had a V-twin one made from a heap of parts for my Brough Superior by D.H.Day from Wroughton near Swindon and it has performed faultlessly.

Since then I have been rebuilding my own, having the armatures rewound by Armoto as they are near to me, then having them remagnetise the whole thing once complete.

Is there a specific reason for wanting it rebuilt or is it just down on power, When I got my twin the owner had fitted a modern BTH as it was hard to start with the KVF, having offered to sell a friend another spare KVF that had a been rewound I had both remagnetised and the difference was enormous, you could nearly weld with both and they spark both plugs down below 60 magneto rpm.

So it might be worth considering a good clean, service and remagnetise.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have just had a twin and Comet magneto built for me by Rutland I met the owner Peter who knew exactly what I wanted (A twin Vincent Mag with manual advance) seems a good guy
Some may wonder why after years of BT-H I chose a Lucas Mag. Well I am building a twin with different aspirations. After 50 years of racing, high compression and gulping carbs I want a twin to carry me into my dotage with simplicity, light weight, low seat (compared with current market offerings) and EASY Starting, and I think that at kick start(or electric button) speeds the Lucas gives the best spark.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The Magneto Guys are only about two to three miles from me and I know their work is good but they have a reputation of being expensive and slow. That is because they get so much work. if you wish I could call in there next time I am in the area and ask them about time scales and prices. It would help if you could tell me the condition of the mag at present but I know they will only do total rebuilds as they are not prepared to guarantee anyone else's work. PM me on here if you wish.

Meekey675

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I had a V-twin one made from a heap of parts for my Brough Superior by D.H.Day from Wroughton near Swindon and it has performed faultlessly.

Since then I have been rebuilding my own, having the armatures rewound by Armoto as they are near to me, then having them remagnetise the whole thing once complete.

Is there a specific reason for wanting it rebuilt or is it just down on power, When I got my twin the owner had fitted a modern BTH as it was hard to start with the KVF, having offered to sell a friend another spare KVF that had a been rewound I had both remagnetised and the difference was enormous, you could nearly weld with both and they spark both plugs down below 60 magneto rpm.

So it might be worth considering a good clean, service and remagnetise.
Thanks Chris. The bike was sitting for years (perhaps 10 or more) without being run. I've since started to recommission the bike, and after sorting the timing etc out, she starts on the first kick from cold nearly every time. However, when warm, she's an absolute nightmare to start! All this leads me to believe that the capacitor is on its way out.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Meekey675

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just had a twin and Comet magneto built for me by Rutland I met the owner Peter who knew exactly what I wanted (A twin Vincent Mag with manual advance) seems a good guy
Some may wonder why after years of BT-H I chose a Lucas Mag. Well I am building a twin with different aspirations. After 50 years of racing, high compression and gulping carbs I want a twin to carry me into my dotage with simplicity, light weight, low seat (compared with current market offerings) and EASY Starting, and I think that at kick start(or electric button) speeds the Lucas gives the best spark.
Thanks! Yes from my experience, the Lucas gives a good spark at cranking speeds, much better than the BTH CDI units, from what I've read. Thanks for your review of Rutland too.

Meekey675

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Magneto Guys are only about two to three miles from me and I know their work is good but they have a reputation of being expensive and slow. That is because they get so much work. if you wish I could call in there next time I am in the area and ask them about time scales and prices. It would help if you could tell me the condition of the mag at present but I know they will only do total rebuilds as they are not prepared to guarantee anyone else's work. PM me on here if you wish.
You're very kind. I'm in no rush to have the mag rebuilt (salt on the roads and all that), but thanks for the heads up. I may give them a call to see what time scales are like. Thanks for the offer of calling in though!

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
We have used Rutland Dynamos and can recommend him.
Chris has a Boyer system on the shelf if you want to borrow it while the mag is away. We are probably your closest VOC members and know the bike and it's previous owner.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you want easy starting from a Lucas magneto you don't want a manual one, as this shifts the spark away from the maximum flux position when it's retarded, whereas the auto keeps the sparking position but alters the timing.

vibrac

VOC Member
Good point Chris I had thought of that.
However when advanced while one of the opening points is weaker the other is at at maximum flux so that at retard that point opening is just like a single with manual control (on that pot). So without straining my brain isn't that the front pot which is the target of the just over compression on the rear mantra? once that fires the bonfire is lit.....
I really want to side step all those ATD problems with 36 degree advance gap, sticking, springs etc
Its not irreversible so I shall try it out.