LNA 402 - DOES IT EXIST?

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not too clear when zoomed in but it looks to have a dark area that might possibly be a site glass. Could it be something to give extra oil like some of the vintage bikes had. The oil tank on my Sunbeam had a tube inside the tank that had a cable operated piston to give the engine an extra shot of oil. If it is an oiler it could be to to give the chain a good dose of oil.
Years ago someone told me it was a spare carb top and throttle slide though why Harold should want such a thing I have no idea.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think rear and sidecar brake, may have been connected to the hand brake.
In another picture I've looked at you can make out a brake pedal below the object that the cables go in to. The literature says it has an offside mounted brake pedal to suite Harold's single leg and a passenger operated lever for the sidecar wheel brake.

vibrac

VOC Member
Years ago someone told me it was a spare carb top and throttle slide though why Harold should want such a thing I have no idea.
I have a spare slide and choke on my 52 Trophy ISDT rep its an alloy tube like a carb body with a closed end threaded for a carb top containing the ready assembled choke and slide and attached cables and held across the two carb flange nuts under the flange with the cables taped to the respective operating points -choke lever and throttle in an ISDT time was of essence and the rider had to do all his maintenance himself in double quick time.
However I think a servo for the brakes is most likely.

vibrac

VOC Member
poor picture of spare slide

Attachments

• spareslide.jpg
    spareslide.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 38

Jerry161

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Giving in to a wet Easter Bananaman and I spent some time on the picture of Harold Taylors ISDT outfit
http://www.stilltimecollection.co.uk/detail/3738-bike;-hrd;-tpt;-vincent.html
Now we saw the sprocket on the widened front wheel and the brake and gear change on the same side (Didn't the German team protest that Harold with one leg had an advantage because he could mount the sidecar nearer the bike?) We also noticed his crutch laying across the seat and spare wheel, the sidecar speedo( driven from the sidecar wheel?) and a few other interesting items.
But what stumped us was the device on the timing cover tucked in behind the rear exhaust and serviced by what appears to be two bowden cables, what is it?

At the risk of stating the obvious, purchase of the "high quality print" could be helpful?
Print Sizes
The following print sizes are offered:A4, A3 and 24 inches by 36 inches (609mm x 915mm) For some we even offer a size of 24 inches by 36 inches (609mm x 915mm) Most of our pictures are rectangular and we will always print to fill the maximum space of the selected size of print. For example, the 24" x 36" size is printed from an Epson 24 inch (609mm) wide roll and if the picture is a normal landscape rectangular negative, the length of the picture will come out at around 35 inches (889mm). The ratio of height to length is not always the same and so some variations will occur in the length. If the picture was of portrait alignment, we would print to a width of 24 inches and a height of approximately 35 inches. Square pictures obviously can only be printed with more or less equal sides. As we only print to order, we cannot be certain of exact dimensions before they are produced. The printer will always leave a very small border around the printed area.
END QUOTE

And another source of info is the family of the present owner - [Moldenhauers] ?

A clear statement of the mystery feature on the timing cover is given in

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/veryoldbikes/files/Harold Taylor/

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I saw that thankyou. As to the article, Its a pity but for reasons I will not disclose I dont do Yahoo groups, perhaps someone more braver than me can paraphrase

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator