F: Frame Lightning seat

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello forum,

To complete a project, I'm looking after a seat that will suit a Vincent black lightning. I have seen on the net that lightning's appears to had different style of seat.
Does someone on the forum nows better about lightning seats and can provide a supplier address ?

Pete

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Things to note are that the base of the Lightning seat will have the same metal frame and curved cut out at the rear as a standard road going bike. The base is just plywood, which can be cut to fit any shape of seat you wish. The rubber filling and seat cover will have to be made to whatever shape you wish. You could just copy the shape from a photograph of an original Lightning but if you want the bike to look original you will need to make sure that the photograph is of an original unmodified Lightning. Try to find 1950s Vincent publicity literature for such a picture. There are several companies in the UK who could build a seat to your specification and I expect there are several in France as well. The metal work can be bought from the VOC Spares Company.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It's a normal seat with the first pair of bum wings removed and the tool tray slide holder. I will be looking for one or making one dreckly for my Lightning Replica.
bananaman.

vibrac

VOC Member
It's a normal seat with the first pair of bum wings removed and the tool tray slide holder. I will be looking for one or making one dreckly for my Lightning Replica.
bananaman.
You can copy Mine Marcus off my Grey Flash replica its based on a very old one I had years ago the depth of pad depends on your rear sensitivity

1604749084894.png

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks to all for your answers. Thank you also for the contact and the picture.
I have been looking on the net pictures of black lightning's, and figure out that seats are more "customize" seats than original seats.(except maybe the Jack Ehret ?). Maybe get in touch with Godet, and see what he can provide hoping price will be OK.

Pete

vibrac

VOC Member
Pete there is nothing to a seat its plywood a bit of lorn work foam and a cover £150 cost
Find a car seat upholster or even a furniture one not a dedicated motorcycle guy its not a complicated pattern that more complex one for the twin racer was covered for £50

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all for your answers. Thank you also for the contact and the picture.
I have been looking on the net pictures of black lightning's, and figure out that seats are more "customize" seats than original seats.(except maybe the Jack Ehret ?). Maybe get in touch with Godet, and see what he can provide hoping price will be OK.

Pete
I have heard Frank Trento tell the story that when he got the lightning from Jack Ehret the seat was missing and that he was able to find an original unused seat in the USA And that it cost a lot. So probably a good example to work from Good luck

Dave Hulstone

VOC Member
This was Jack Ehrets bike when Franc purchased it I believe.

Attachments

• 993A6EB3-A0A0-4778-A57E-107EEC11B979.jpeg
    993A6EB3-A0A0-4778-A57E-107EEC11B979.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 29

vibrac

VOC Member
1604835601904.png

Went and measured my seat on the Flash apologies for metric which by some quirk of fate (I guess some young buck of a builder left his metric tape here) was all I have :confused: but I am sure those wanting good old imperial measurements can use a conversion. it was taken from the cover side so allow some lee way but as the foam is only 1" thick its the same as the board
A is a radius of 11 CM and the distance between the two radi loci is about 12cm
B is where the blending radius starts 30cm
C is overall length 63 cm
D is sitting width 22cm
It does quite look like a seat with the first bulge removed