lightning for sale

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes.
It is probably the one he had in his garden when I collected my first "all matching" Comet from him in 1977.
This century I learned that someone else has a non-matching Comet with the same engine number but with a more likely matching number.
Say n'more, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

AH! The Ted Davis garden ,(and summer house) what a store of parts and bits many is the Vincent part I picked up there some of the modified race parts still adorn the Comet

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've got a series of photos somewhere of that garden, that shed and that lightning - My dad took me to Ted's house in the 1970's having been to the exhibition of Vincents in Stevenage to celebrate some anniversary - I'll be able to nail the date when looking at photo albums - around 1974 I am guessing.

I've got a load of photos from that Stevenage exhibition too, I recall somewhere near the railway station.

Dad knew Ted in the 1950's and Ted used to stay at Dad's when he went up to Yorkshire - hence why his Series A Comet had a Series C dual seat on it...oh, and a few other parts too.

So we spent a happy few hours in his back garden then talking Vincents and he and Dad sharing their memories. I remember he had a Boxer Twin as his every day transport in the carport - I think it was blue.

The Rapide that Dad had was sold through Ted Davis in 1986 or 1987 - sadly the number plate (KWS 100) then got sold seperately and I have been unsuccessful in tracking it down though it is still in circulation, last known on a car. When the bike landed in Australia and it's new owner late 1986, the 5 inch speedo, Shadow carbs and a few other bits were gone, having been replaced with standard Rapide items. All thoroughly understandable I guess.

Stuart