length of gearbox dip stick

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dont you drain the lot just stick a new litre* in and thats it?:)

*I think it was a litre on the racer. I know I only did it once to measure it then threw away the filler spout and dip stick and used a shallow plug in the crankcase thats a few ounces saved proceedure than was to drain and fill up every meeting or so keeps an eye on the oil contents that way as well

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
I think it safe to assume that my bike has the correct length dipstick as I have been using it for near fifty years without gearbox trouble, simply by keeping the level just showing on the flat of the stick, (as per the handbook). I have no intention or need of investigating further!
Col.
I understand that Col, on my rebuilt "B" that's exactly what I did. This new engine build had new crankcases and covers also gears and a new dip stick, hence the question.

Chris

greg brillus

VOC Member
Have any of you Vincenteers out there found that if you fill the gearbox to the half way mark on the stick, that the gearbox then leaks oil out. I think mostly between the bushes in the output shaft, and then off the bottom of the kickstart cover, where most twins seem to drip from anyway.....mind you it could be gearbox oil, engine oil, petrol, or a mixture of all of the above......heck....the factory should have run the oil return/ scavenge from the lowest point on the kickstart cover......problem oil leaks solved.....now where's my drip tray gone..!! Greg.

Howard

VOC Member
Have any of you Vincenteers out there found that if you fill the gearbox to the half way mark on the stick, that the gearbox then leaks oil out. I think mostly between the bushes in the output shaft, and then off the bottom of the kickstart cover, where most twins seem to drip from anyway.....mind you it could be gearbox oil, engine oil, petrol, or a mixture of all of the above......heck....the factory should have run the oil return/ scavenge from the lowest point on the kickstart cover......problem oil leaks solved.....now where's my drip tray gone..!! Greg.

Years ago, I sealed the kickstart cover and drilled and tapped the underside for a small plug. If I overfill the gearbox the oil runs into the kickstart cover, then I drain it off at intervals. I'm happy to have the oil level slightly high, this way it adjusts to it's own level without causing a mess on the floor.

H

clevtrev

VOC Member
Clevtrev, If "the book of instructions " is not to be trusted, why should we trust you? Do you actually know more than the manufacturers, The two "Phils " come to mind!
Having seen one or two, :) I can tell you that a series D will need 1/2 pint more than a series B. But then, what do I know.

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Greg,
I had always seen that as a very clever factory design for reducing a carelessly overfilled box to the correct level..........................
Col.

Howard

VOC Member
Greg,
I had always seen that as a very clever factory design for reducing a carelessly overfilled box to the correct level..........................
Col.

What is the "correct level"? As long as the gears and bearings have enough oil for their purposes, and the gearbox can breathe, the oil level can't be far wrong. The Vin dip stick should give a minimum for good lubrication, the only problem caused by filling it a bit too high, is that it runs out. I supply gearboxes running 24/7/365 at several thousand Nm, some of them are completely full of oil and have a resevoir/breather to keep them full, so that the top bearing is never starved of oil. I actually like the idea of overfilling to get oil to G17 (I think that's the bush number).

H

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
From Bruce Mainsmith " The Gearbox is lubricated by splash , the box holding two pints(Imperial). This brings the level to the bottom of the flat on the dipstick. To assist in determining the quantity of fresh oil to be added when the oil is so low that it does not reach the standard dipstick,a homemade stick with a longer flat should be used-provided that the level mark is made in the right place, ie measured from under the head of the dipstick."

Round these parts we all try to just keep a drip of oil on the standard stick, more seems to make a mess. A stick that protrudes down another half inch would be helpful at times.

Glen

Last edited:

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
(Round these parts we all try to just keep a drip of oil on the standard stick, more seems to make a mess. A stick that protrudes down another half inch would be helpful at times.)

Hi Glen, that was the question, what is a standard stick. ClevTrev gave the answer, G7 teeth to just pick up the oil for the splash effect.

Chris

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Right, but now that you know the length of a standard stick it would be a good idea to add a half inch to it for ease of use. That was the point of my post.