length of gearbox dip stick

Chrish

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
i believe there was a thread on this subject previously, i seem unable to find it! does anyone know the correct length of the gearbox dip stick, i have two of differing lengths the smaller is 162mm the larger 178mm

2013-07-28 005.jpg

of course that's assuming there ever was a correct length!

Last edited:

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Hello Chrish,
The dipstick I have is G106AS.
The rod is 133mm long sticking out of the Alloy top.When comparing it to your measurements it is 161 mm long.
Cheers
brt650

clevtrev

VOC Member
The length of your dipstick, is the length required to tell you that the G7 is recording that there is about 1/8" of that gear submerged. So calibrate it, you might be surprised.

1660bob

VOC Member
Just had a look at mine-bottom face of alloy part to tip of "spoke"-134.5mm,so some sort of standard emerging there.

I suppose the important measurement is from the shoulder on the alloy part (on which it sits in the filler neck)to the dipstick flat,which, on mine starts 144mm from that shoulder,and ends 158mm from it.
Of course, all this assumes that filler necks/crankcase machining of the aperture into which it screws are a consistent distance from the gear shaft centres, I doubt it, Bob.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Yes Bob, that's what I'll have to do; measure the whole thing up, and as CT say's an eighth of an inch of G7 submerged. I hope it's a pleasant surprise CT!

Chris

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
How about this angle, drain gearbox oil (it won't hurt) , install the reccomended ammount of oil, then choose the dipstick to suit? Roy.

clevtrev

VOC Member
How about this angle, drain gearbox oil (it won't hurt) , install the reccomended ammount of oil, then choose the dipstick to suit? Roy.
Wishful thinking, what makes you so sure that the gearbox volumes are all the same. Ever wondered why dipstick lengths vary ?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Clevtrev, If "the book of instructions " is not to be trusted, why should we trust you? Do you actually know more than the manufacturers, The two "Phils " come to mind!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I assume that a sand casting would have a bit of variability and if one were keen, and had the cover off or was really curious, it would be enlightening to see what was really needed. As we say here, "Enquiring minds want to know".

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
I think it safe to assume that my bike has the correct length dipstick as I have been using it for near fifty years without gearbox trouble, simply by keeping the level just showing on the flat of the stick, (as per the handbook). I have no intention or need of investigating further!
Col.