Last ride for the season?

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In Manitoba everything closes in the morning to allow us to observe Remembrance Day is our own way..some stores are open in the afternoon...Rosanne will bake some buns to accompany our coffee and traditional baileys..We will relax with Jack & Diane for a bit..then I shall repair to the garage to fettle The Beast - ( newly anointed with Bradd Penn 30 weight racing oil) ..and then spend a few hours looking for Harleys to thrash soundly upon Her Majesty's highways and biways..
In all likelihood a single malt will be sampled before dinner, and a wee dram of port afterwards.

Alan J

VOC Member
We are lucky in "the good old U.K. in that we can ride all the year round-maybe the odd day with ice and snow- but definitely less snow than when I was a boy! I quite like riding in the winter, less traffic for a start! I'm not going to make 60 rides this year-too many bikes on the road, apart from me "twin", and it was very pleasant Had a little "potter" on it today to visit some motorcycling friends, I mean to "look inside " it after Xmas, as compression is down on one cylinder, does not rattle or smoke, but the famous 46 b.h.p. feels more like 30!:confused::confused: Alan J. p.s off to Wolverhampton on Saturday to celibrate the 100th anniversary of the A.J.S. marque-where has that 100 years gone?

deejay499

VOC Member
I had to go over to Conways today. Luckily the sun was shining and not too cold, so the Shadow outfit came out. Some roundabouts were still damp and greasy to add to the enjoyment of driving an outfit.:D:D
Cheers, DJ

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
+3 yesterday ( Sunday Nov.15th ) ..I managed about 40 miles before I came to my senses and returned home to warm up...The Beast ran beautifully!..weather report says its going to be +7 today...too bad I am ill in bed..and the missus is here to make sure I don't sneak out for a quick ride..

nobby

VOC Member
wasn't the last ride after all...

Today it was such fine weather that I decided to pull out the 600 again and have a ride. As all rides this season, it was a delight! One of my friends has/had a motorcycle shop and it was today his last working day. So I went on the Vin to the festivities. He bought a church nearby Frans the musselman and rebuild it as a home for him, his wife and his bikes. Nice way to retire...
Then I took off to another friend, a MG-restorer. Saturday, end of the week, he transforms his office into a pub, so I had nice talks about english-made iron there with the mg- and jaguar boys. And I heard a new thing about ale: the reason that english people drink almost warm instead of cold beer is because their fridges were made by Lucas!
One of the guys there was an older man, in his seventies. When he saw my Vincent he told me the story that one day, long time ago, he was at a motorcycle dealer in Rotterdam. He just had bought a new Guzzi V7 Sport, so it must have been '73 or '74, and there came an even more fantastic bike into the street. A Vincent twin with Peter Volkers on it. He remembered Peters' bike, his name, where he used to live, and where he lived at that time. It was the first Vincent he saw in his life. His wife talked him out of buying one too. He still regrets it...

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Simply incredible weather here in Winnipeg..at a time when it usually -10 to -20 below we are enjoying above average temperatures...+7 at 11:40am..with a projected high of +9...I'll get another few hours riding in..Although its getting a bit silly having yet another "last ride"..

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Cold beer

I agree. I'd as soon have chilled red wine. The correct answer to "do you want Guinness Extra-Cold?" is "No, I like the taste of Guinness. But I'll have chilled lager if lager is all you have."

Tom

There are several reasons why we drink, and enjoy, warm beer. Here are a couple:-

Our real ales taste nice, and you do not need to numb your taste buds, by freezing your tongue, just to make them palatable.

It is also not kind to the environment to run fridges and chillers just for beer.

Cheers
Dave

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
A long time Winnipeg Vincent owner ( Tiny Robins) had a T-shirt that said -

"Be nice to me..I have a Lucas Pacemaker"

lindie

Non-VOC Member
There are several reasons why we drink, and enjoy, warm beer. Here are a couple:-

Our real ales taste nice, and you do not need to numb your taste buds, by freezing your tongue, just to make them palatable.

It is also not kind to the environment to run fridges and chillers just for beer.

Cheers
Dave

a luxury to which i'm not privy. it's 36 degrees celsius today and beer at that temp lacks the refreshing quality for which i obtain it.

i miss germany in winter where you take your beer out of the cellar and put it in the fridge to stop it freezing.