• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

ET: Engine (Twin) Kick Start Indexing Problem

G.L. Winter

Website User
VOC Member
My series B Rapide tends to jam from time to time at the initiation of the kick start down stroke. I fit a new kick start quadrant and ratchet pinion (G82 and G46AS) supplied by The Vincent Spares Company, but the problem persists. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you in advance for your kind help.

MartynG

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
From OVR 33:
Often one reads about the need to “file” the lead tooth on a Kick Starter quadrant to avoid the dreaded “locking” of the kick starter. Attempting to force the kick starter once locked may result in damage to the kick start shaft, the kick start quadrant, the driven pinion, the rider’s foot or the rider’s leg – and any one or any combination of damaged items is possible.

Once the kick starter becomes locked the accepted release technique is to engage a gear then rock the bike back n forth till the kick starter becomes free, then gearbox back into neutral and try the kick starter again.

The attached picture is a close up of the lead in tooth on one quadrant superimposed over another quadrant clearly showing how it needs to be shaped. Note that its top surface slopes slightly towards the valley of the first “full” tooth.

In order to provide the best opportunity for smooth engagement between the kick start quadrant and the kick start driven pinion it is advisable to polish the lead in tooth, especially its upper surface.

There is also real benefit to be gained if the tip of each tooth on the engaged pinion is also polished.

G.L. Winter

Website User
VOC Member
Thank you, sir, for your prompt and informative reply. It seems that my problem is not altogether unheard of. The picture, as always, is worth a thousand words. Quite a bit of metal removed from that lead tooth! I'll put the quadrant on the milling machine and have a go. One wonders why they aren't supplied with that profile in the first place?