RIP John Bass

G

Graham Smith

The late John Bass - Surrey Section stalwart and all-round nice guy. Photo courtesy: Dick Sherwin.

John Bass.jpg

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Some may have heard this news earlier today, but Surrey Section's stalwart John Bass sadly died yesterday (6th December) whilst out cycling near his home after what appears to be a genuine accident with a van.
I'm sure more information will follow.
John was the first Club member I can remember meeting back around 1970 and our regular conversations over the years have always been a pleasure.
R.I.P. John. You will be greatly missed.

John Sayer & the South London Section.

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some may have heard this news earlier today, but Surrey Section's stalwart John Bass sadly died yesterday (6th December) whilst out cycling near his home after what appears to be a genuine accident with a van.
John was the first Club member I can remember meeting back around 1970 and our regular conversations over the years have always been a pleasure.

thats so sad we send our condolences to his family such a friendly person and family camped near them at so many sites mainly Hever
OSSIE and BARBARA

G

Graham Smith

So very sad and we send our condolences to John’s family.

I’ve been trying to find a photo (that I’ve seen before) on the forum website which shows John in his trademark shorts whilst collecting glasses at the South London Section‘s Hever Rally. Sadly though, I’ve been unable to locate it, which just goes to show how important it is to ‘tag’ these things correctly.

Regardless, I was able to find another photograph of John with his son Matthew on the front cover of MPH from back in 2020.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member

I am very sorry to hear this. John and Jenny made me very welcome at the Hand in Hand at Tadworth while I was working in the UK in the early seventies.A real gentleman who I am sure will be sadly missed.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
What a shock to hear about John very similar to another local man here in S.W. Jeff Dean still working for Appledor ship yard as a naval architect well into his seventies, a mile from home on his push bike and knocked off it by a drunk driver. John was my brothers First section organiser when he moved up to Sunbury on Thames.

Rodders

Non-VOC Member
Terrible news about John, he was one of the people I met in early 1964 on my first visit to the Surrey Section, we have been friends ever since. Our love and hearts go out to Jenny, Mathew and Susanne, rest in peace old buddy.