Ianweld

ianweld

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello All

I want to fit a multiplate clutch to my twin but not the V2/3 as I have heard bad reports of it. In the past owners have fitted clutchs from british bikes, can anybody tell me from what model bikes the clutchs were taken.I have a rough idea of the machining/welding that would be needed.Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi

Mine's from a BSA A65. 3 spring type as fitted to Triumphs.

It works well. You may need more plates than standard, and cable adjustment can be a bit tricky at first.

Can't comment on V2/3 they weren't an option when I fitted mine.

H

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Norton Commando clutches have been fitted. You asked about British, but various Suzuki and Kaw clutches have been used and may be cheaper at the breakers.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Hi

I fitted the Vin-parts clutch to mine, I have had no real problems other than a tendancy to slip slightly under hard acceleration, this i think will be fixed by slightly heavier springs.
There seems to be an obsession with a very light clutch, but as a T140 and Commando rider i have a grip like a Gorrilla.

If I was fitting another Brit bike clutch I'd probably go for the T140 type with the Norman Hyde plates, as standard they tend to start dragging very badly in traffic.

Jim

Albervin

VOC Member
Ian, over 4 years & 8,000 miles on a V3. Take it out every year or to look at it then do a 20 minute service on it & shove it back in. It sometimes gives a groan after a lot of stop start work in traffic but never
slips or drags. I run it dry but others run them wet. I recently did a 250 mile day of riding in traffic & also fast roads, no problems. They use Kawasaki plates so cheap replacements..

Alan J

VOC Member
I'm still using my original clutch on my "outfit!"it's worn out' like me,but still keeps rolling on!-why change it? [some would say it's because I am mean!]

vibrac

VOC Member
The clutch on the racer is a light as a feather and it copes with 1275cc at race speeds its a Bob Newby clutch and goes with my best investment yet -a belt drive

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I am just fitting a norton clutch to my twin,it takes 5 manx fricton plates.I had one on my last twin 35 years ago and three friends have or had them on thiers(1 raced his outfit for years 1has had his since 74) Picked my bits up ready converted on
e-bay last month for £25

timetraveller

VOC Member
I do not want to act as a spoiler here but years ago when I was racing and sprinting I used a Norton clutch on the race bike and also fitted one to my Knight. For racing and sprinting it was fine but for road use in traffic it was not happy. On several occasions in London traffic I had to stop and let the clutch cool down as when it got hot, as in start and stop heavy traffic, the plates would swell with the heat and all adjustment at the handlebar lever was lost. That is, the lever no longer lifted the clutch as the cable was totally slack. These were solid friction plates and possibly there are now some which are not subject to this problem but be aware!