I hate stainless steel :-)

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
They had some nice little stainless T bars years ago for the rear stand,
And I think some people used them on the Mag' cowl,
Maybe just me ,
But I think some were nicked, So they have gone out of fashion ?.

everiman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Everiman.Where are you located? I have used Victoria Plating to cadmium plate probably well over 1000 parts. Never lost a single piece. Speak to Jarred. You can often find BSF, Whitworth and CEI nuts and bolts on evilbay. I generally sand blast parts and anything small I wire them up with thin stainless lock wire. I believe Robert had all the cad, for a bike he did up, by Victoria Plating. Ask him if anything got lost.
Edmonton. What I really want is to preserve the oxide, paint, grease and dirt of my comet's 67 year old parts. My beef with stainless is not just its shinyness, for fasteners it is a poor substitute for good old carbon steel

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Now guys no harsh words here, I mean mostly I am doing that.
lets keep it proper, yes cad Plated..

sorry Peter just mucking arround...

oexing

VOC Member
Yeah, stainless a poor substitude for - hopelessly rusting primitive unknown carbon steel . . . . have been using stainless since the 70ties last millennium and never had the least problem or breakage. There is not a single external bolt on a motorbike that would be risky with stainless.
Well , somebody doing concours judging - that tells me something. Poor boy , stuck in his skin, no freedom to have his own bike as he likes it . . . .

Vic

Flylow

VOC Member
For sure, Stainless has it place.
I have manufactured machinery where a corrosive environment dictated stainless fasteners. However...

Needing to bead blast and heat a SS nut/bolt to make it look like something it is not. Hmm. Sure.
There is a difference between how a stainless fastener (from VOC) goes together and an old cadmium plated carbon steel does. I simply enjoy the latter and think it is a mechanically better solution.

I understand that a bike is not going to fall apart because it has been assembled with SS. I just whish Vincent fasteners also was available in cad-plated carbon steel. Then some of us could use SS and others carbon steel. Perfect.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Maybe his freedom is to have his own bike as he likes it, as close as possible to how it left the factory, no different than what you have done to a Vincent -- meeting his dream!

Just because it is not in line with your dream and what you perceive to be a better way to build your bike, does NOT mean he is wrong!
And there you go again trying to apply logic to the situation.

I really don’t understand why the fact that someone wants their Vincent to look original would bother anyone.

In a conversation elsewhere, I mentioned making a Lightning clone, just as it left the factory and got a recommendation to toss the TT’s and use Dellortos.

Last edited: