H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Hydraulic Steering Damper

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
They are good points David, That's what made me wonder about folk who install disc brakes up front as to how that affects the steering/handling issues with regards to speed wobbles under braking.

davidd

VOC Member
Vic,

Yes, fitted. Unfortunately a hydraulic steering damper has little effect on a Vincent wobble. I used one also when I crashed due to a wobble. So far, the modified steering stem has shown itself as the only highly effective deterrent to the Vincent wobble, meaning the wobble that is a result of the stock axle path. The modified steering stem changes the axle path.

David

oexing

VOC Member
Now that´s really worrying me, didn´t think that a decent damper would not be able to fight it. I do not follow all discussions about steering mods too closley when dealing with our B-Raps but I will fit a modern hydraulic damper to the Brampton for sure !

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
Regarding photos of damper/Bramptons that will take many months, still busy with the engines . But my idea is to clamp an alu plate to the Brampton where the friction discs live, with the standard steering knob. That alu plate gets an extension with an ear to mount the Chinese damper and its universal joint. The other end/body of the damper is bolted to a bracket fixed on the sidecar lug of the steering head, either along the bike´s axis or rather across, still to be worked out in detail. So no big mods to be made to the Brampton. What do you think ?

Vic

davidd

VOC Member
It is rare that a Brampton has this problem. The damper certainly slowed down the wobble to the point that I thought I could ride through it, but it threw me down at the last moment.

David

oexing

VOC Member
That sort of situation is something I never ever want to experience so a damper will go onto the Brampton definitely ! And I would set the damping really high on a Girdraulic, seems just unbelievable that the shaking was stronger than the damper could cope. Oh dear . . . .

Vic

Flo

VOC Member
A damper exerts a speed dependent opposing force to the motion correponding to the mode of the oscillation. The energy source for the oscillation of the steering system (at approx 1 to 2 Hz) is the driving force (including the kinety energy) of the whole vehicle. That means a damper that would be able to dissipate that energy completely, once the mode is fully operating would not be practical considering the functional requirements of the steering,

The task of a steering damper is to avoid potantial exitation of the dangerous mode and/or impede the formation of the mode before it can draw sufficient energy from the vehicle.

PF

oexing

VOC Member
Exactly. The nice thing about hydraulic dampers is you can bump up the resistance of motion to fight quick oscillations and still maintain smooth minimal slow steering corrections. With a motor bike under way you don´t see much of a deflection when going round corners so very stiff dampers are not felt much. It is a different thing with stiff friction dampers that will produce a lot of stiction when done up too much, no way to keep your chosen line along the road that way.

Vic