H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Hydraulic Steering Damper

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I dont think you need worry about damping bramptons because of extra strong brakes they would bend like putty long before that read the old threads to see how I know that...

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Regarding photos of damper/Bramptons that will take many months, still busy with the engines . But my idea is to clamp an alu plate to the Brampton where the friction discs live, with the standard steering knob. That alu plate gets an extension with an ear to mount the Chinese damper and its universal joint. The other end/body of the damper is bolted to a bracket fixed on the sidecar lug of the steering head, either along the bike´s axis or rather across, still to be worked out in detail. So no big mods to be made to the Brampton. What do you think ?

Vic
Is this an idea?
IMG_20180129_194310.jpg
IMG_20180129_194330.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
And for comparison the kit I have designed to fit the modified steering heads. Vincent uses a bracket that allows the damper body to be mounted directly under the anchor hole in the steering head. Macvette put me on to a kit that would have allowed me to do the same but one had to buy a fixing kit for a Honda in order to get the bracket at a cost of £30 and being a careful Yorkshire man I decided to use the bracket that comes with the Chinese damper and save the £30 for my fellow Vincent owners. In my case the ally operating arm is held to the steering head by three M6 screws with a 12 mm thick spacer to bring the arm down to the correct level. Vincent has cleverly found a way to use part of the original friction damper.
P9060271.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Thanks a lot for the pictures, yes, that is roughly what I was thinking of. BUT, I´d place the damper a few inches more to the rear of the bike when having it across and parallel to the crash bar. Judging from the pictures I guess the dampers do only a fraction of their stroke. The rod universal joint on the alu lever should better be placed more to the back of the bike to get more motion . It is too close to the centre line of the steering bearing to be real effective. The dampers would be OK when directed to some cylinder head nuts, so a lot more of stroke is achieved.
I am not in a stage to decide yet but will no way mount that silly crash bar so I guess to go for a bracket bolted into that side car lug to place an across damper close to the lug and fabricate an alu lever much shorter and pointing about 45 - 60 degrees to the left and rear when sitting on the bike. The lever could be clamped by the old steering damper knob assy just as it does with the friction discs, maybe a locating pin added, no screws required.
When a crash bar is fitted one could fabricate a bracket clamped onto that and get the across damper positioned the critical inches further back for more stroke. The alu lever will point a bit more to the back and be shorter to more effect - I think . . .

The bracket on that damper below has a better positioned universal joint - and it is a very good price, so I got one recently , great. Link:

Steering damper

Vic

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can only speak for my own design, but Vincent's looks pretty much the same, but my system uses almost all the travel of the damper. I allow 5 to 6 mm at each end to allow the original stops to act as the limit to movement, rather than the damper itself. I thought that I had found a damper at a good price. It is the same one that you placed the details for and it is cheaper on that site than I am paying for it here in the UK. However, it seems to be a very nicely made item. It has 75 mm of stroke and I am using about 65 mm of that. Part of my design criteria was to allow the use of a crash bar as some people like to have one. I think it would also work if a sidecar was fitted but it will not work if an Avon style full fairing is fitted as their brackets use the sidecar fitting and are bulkier than a normal sidecar fitting. If you do come up with a better design then it will be very interesting to see it.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I can only speak for my own design, but Vincent's looks pretty much the same, but my system uses almost all the travel of the damper. I allow 5 to 6 mm at each end to allow the original stops to act as the limit to movement, rather than the damper itself. I thought that I had found a damper at a good price. It is the same one that you placed the details for and it is cheaper on that site than I am paying for it here in the UK. However, it seems to be a very nicely made item. It has 75 mm of stroke and I am using about 65 mm of that. Part of my design criteria was to allow the use of a crash bar as some people like to have one. I think it would also work if a sidecar was fitted but it will not work if an Avon style full fairing is fitted as their brackets use the sidecar fitting and are bulkier than a normal sidecar fitting. If you do come up with a better design then it will be very interesting to see it.

It will be shipped (eventually) from Hong Kong, so you may have to pay Customs Duties, etc - in which case it certainly won't be cheaper than yours!
Peter B