HRD - Standard

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anybody knows any relationships between Jap driven HRDs and Standard motorcycles from Ludwigsburg ?

A_HRD

VOC Member
Erik,

All I can find is that JAP motors were used in the 1920s and early 30s by the Ludwigsburg manufacturer. Later, MAG (Swiss) engines were used - although some JAP engines continued to be used for racing - including V Twins.

See:
and

So, in answer to your question, yes, it is likely that HRD were using some of the same JAP engine types as were the Ludwigsburg manufacturer in the 1920s and 30s. But I doubt there was any liaison between the two factories (but I have been wrong before!).

Peter B

erik

VOC Member
Standard has the same Frame like the HRDs. I think it is called Diamond Frame,isn`t it?

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eric,

I am not sure that a fully understand your question with regards to standard HRD, but here goes.

OHV JAP engines were fitted to Diamond frame Vincent HRDs in 350 and 500cc sizes, plus there were twin, or single port models in the case of the 500. These models were made from 1932 to 1935.

JAP engines were also fitted in the earlier 1927 to 1932 models. Some were SV and the majority OHV. The engine sizes included 250, 350, 500 and 600.

Simon Dinsdale will have the data on this.

By the way I own 1931 Python Sports Triangulated frame model.

Cheers

David

erik

VOC Member
I mean that the motorcycles from Standard have the same Frame design as the HRD motorcycles .They look like a copy . The same was with Indian and Mabeco motorcycles.Regards erik

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I mean that the motorcycles from Standard have the same Frame design as the HRD motorcycles .They look like a copy . The same was with Indian and Mabeco motorcycles.Regards erik
"Standard" as a brand name rather than standard as in not modified makes more sense.

erik

VOC Member
Standard is a Brands Name and made in Germany not Swiss made and was lokated near Stuttgart close to Mercedes Benz .The founder was Wilhelm Gutbrot.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have never come across any relationship between Vincent HRD in UK & Standard in Germany and if there was I'm sure it would have been written about.

The 1920's & 30's was a time of innovation and dare a say it, copying of designs and there is a lot of different manufacturers bikes from that time period that on initial appearance look similar due to a lot of manufacturers sourcing engines from third party engine manufacturers.

JAP engines were used by a lot of motorcycle manufacturers. Vincent used them as well a Rudge (Python) engines and also tried a few others engine suppliers. This all stopped with the introduction of the series A Vincent engine.

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
I understood that when HRD folded and before Vincent bought the firm some HRD (perhaps sold by OK supreme) frames found their way to the German firm Victoria