HRD - Standard

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I understood that when HRD folded and before Vincent bought the firm some HRD (perhaps sold by OK supreme) frames found their way to the German firm Victoria
And if that is the case it might go some way to explain the connection. My earlier misunderstanding was because Eric asked about Diamond frames and my understanding is that it is the nomenclature for the spring frame that followed the Triangulated frame. Presumably any bicycle style rigid frame from any manufacturer can be called a diamond type frame because the overall outline of the frame design resembles a diamond.

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its easy for the uninitiated to confuse HRDs built in Wolverhampton with the early Vincent HRDs built in Stevenage just 4 miles from where I’m typing this.

The 1924 - 1928 HRDs from Wolverhampton were the top machines of their day and so it’s not surprising that a few companies copied various features, not just companies in the UK but also Standard and Victoria in Germany. HRD himself reputedly spoke to a number of other UK manufacturers who were taking his ideas and using them. As this thread was specifically about the German company standard, they used 500 JAP engines for their 1926 AS500 model but switched to motosacoche engines in 1927, though still calling the machine the AS500 model.
There is a website for the German built Standards but forum rules prevent me from posting links to an external website, though the site hasn’t been updated for many years.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to be the owner of the ex Bill Burton 1926 HRD Super 90 which was raced in the IOM in 1927 by JD Potts. Some members may recall the machine as the Wolverhampton HRD on the stage alongside the TT trophy at the Villa Marina at the 1999 IOM International.

Andy Davenport

A_HRD

VOC Member
QUOTE FROM #14 "There is a website for the German built Standards but forum rules prevent me from posting links to an external website" UNQUOTE

Oops, if I have committed a deadly sin in my posted links at Message #2 above, I apologise profusely. I've just had a quick look through the Forum Terms and Rules and couldn't find anything about posting links to external websites. Did I miss something?

Peter B

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Peter,
I have had Posts cancelled and rule 3 quoted at me for putting in a link to my website, hence my comment. However, it appears the wording of the rules may have changed slightly more recently so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Andy

G

Graham Smith

QUOTE FROM #14 "There is a website for the German built Standards but forum rules prevent me from posting links to an external website" UNQUOTE

Oops, if I have committed a deadly sin in my posted links at Message #2 above, I apologise profusely. I've just had a quick look through the Forum Terms and Rules and couldn't find anything about posting links to external websites. Did I miss something?

Peter B
Peter, you’re more than welcome to post whatever you want.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Its easy for the uninitiated to confuse HRDs built in Wolverhampton with the early Vincent HRDs built in Stevenage just 4 miles from where I’m typing this.

The 1924 - 1928 HRDs from Wolverhampton were the top machines of their day and so it’s not surprising that a few companies copied various features, not just companies in the UK but also Standard and Victoria in Germany. HRD himself reputedly spoke to a number of other UK manufacturers who were taking his ideas and using them. As this thread was specifically about the German company standard, they used 500 JAP engines for their 1926 AS500 model but switched to motosacoche engines in 1927, though still calling the machine the AS500 model.
There is a website for the German built Standards but forum rules prevent me from posting links to an external website, though the site hasn’t been updated for many years.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to be the owner of the ex Bill Burton 1926 HRD Super 90 which was raced in the IOM in 1927 by JD Potts. Some members may recall the machine as the Wolverhampton HRD on the stage alongside the TT trophy at the Villa Marina at the 1999 IOM International.

Andy Davenport
Hi Andy, You are on a well worn path. LOL. Nothing in the forum rules about this, seems you are free to include links provided they go to 'PC' sites. see here https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/help/terms/

And just for the heck of it here is a link to my web site https://ovr270.wixsite.com/ozvincentreview

regards, Martyn

PC = Politically Correct

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The frame used for the high performance Standard AS500 motorcycle was a copy of the 500cc HRD Super 90, with the 3 frame tubes to the rear axle and many other features were copied such as the distinctive HRD saddle tank etc., Although Standard switched from using JAP to other manufacturers engines, the frame, petrol tank and overall appearance of the “higher end” Standards remained very much based on the HRD. However, Standard produced a much wider range of machines than HRD in Wolverhampton and the smaller Standard Two strokes and smaller capacity machines had a much more conventional frame and appearance.

It’s worthy of note that Standard made their own forks in Germany based on Brough Superior Castle forks under a formal agreement with George Brough.

Although HRD ceased manufacture by 1928, Standard were more fortunate and carried on motorcycle manufacture into the 1950s, with top end models continuing the HRD styling into the 1930s, though with minor differences such as the castle type forks.

If you have a grasp of German
http://www.standard-gutbrod.de/ is a website for the marque.
There is a member of the club who has a superb 1928 AS500 Standard with a Motosacoche engine and Hurth gearbox, I’ve alerted him to this post in the forum.
There are a couple of photos of my 1926 HRD in the “about” page of my website www.vincentblackshadow.co.uk including one with the machine stripped down for the start of Ramsey Sprint at the 1999 international.

Andy Davenport

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Although HRD manufacture was well and truly over by August 1928, the standard company continued with the classic HRD style (Massey had brought his artistic styling to HRD in 1924, though Massey left HRD Motors in 1925) plus the Webb type forks, distinctive 3 tube frame, shape of the saddle tank etc. However, the Motosacoche engines (including OHC) somehow lacked the purposeful appearance of the JAP engines and the weight started increasing from 1929/1930.

B39F07BE-1B9B-4B25-9638-3457600D1E38.jpeg