Misc: Carburettors Help with Carburettors: Advice Please

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That is interesting, I have never come across Amal Mk2's before so a learning curve for me, I guess this enricher's is a good idea and maybe a substitute for flooding, I assume for environmental reasons we cannot have flooding any more. As I said they don't look so bad now these horrible air filters are off. Thank you for this info Keith.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
That is interesting, I have never come across Amal Mk2's before so a learning curve for me, I guess this enricher's is a good idea and maybe a substitute for flooding, I assume for environmental reasons we cannot have flooding any more. As I said they don't look so bad now these horrible air filters are off. Thank you for this info Keith.
The problem with MK2s and Mikuni's is having to "prime" the engine, see my recent thread "Starting With Mikuni's" whereas with the other Amals you just have to tickle them and the bike should start first kick.

kerry

VOC Member
Thank you Chris, I just tried searching 'Starting With Mikuni's' but could not get that up, will try more later, thanks
Kerry.

kerry

VOC Member
Found it now Chris, seems good advice, am reading it all, basically saying kick over a few times with decompressor to try and get fuel in but enricher possibly needed though.
Cheers.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I've got MkII Amals on my Rapide, and I hardly ever use the choke.
I know I should not say it !!, As yours starts better than mine :) ,
But you must be running too rich when hot,
That is why they have a choke ,
Maybe leave well alone ! ? , And tell us how you have set them ?.
Cheers Bill.

SteveO

VOC Member
If you find MkII Concentrics offensive, have you considered the Mk 1s? OK they aren't original, but look a bit more "period" than Mk IIs and still retain the good old ticklers. I wasn't prepared to use Wassells, I've had bad experiences with their electrical products and won't use their stuff any more. I went to Surrey Cycles and got a pair of genuine 932s for around £250 (you can pay a bit more for the Premium type). They were jetted perfectly and when fitted the bike fired up first or second kick and ticked over almost from cold (still on magneto). It's a lot cheaper than the £1000 quoted. I don't know what you would be facing with the 289s, but after a rebuild I decided not to use the 276s as (a) they had been in store for a year so would need completely rebuilding and even then would probably leak for ever, (b) I discovered my inlets had been opened up to 32mm and flowed, so the standards leave it well undercarbed.

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Steve, I took this out this afternoon for it's first run on the road and it really is a superb bike, after just 13 miles there is not even one tiny drop of oil underneath, but these mk 2 carbs do seem a bit out, I tried to balance them and got a bit better but bit of a flat spot coming off tickover so need to try again.
Personally I like monoblocks best as they use on D series, but I think I will either get the originals done or buy a new set which are over £1000, Mk 1's as you say look better but if I change then I will go for the originals which I had on my last Shadow and they were perfect in operation !