Misc: Carburettors Help with Carburettors: Advice Please

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have Amal Mk 2's fitted on a twin and they have no tickle button so unable to flood which Vincents seem to like, also I like the look of the originals which I have but probably need an overhaul , the screws all look good with no signs of bodgers though
Can anyone recommend a company to refurb them and make a nice job, many years ago I had a pair re-bored and the slides were sleeved over with brass.
I can buy a new pair but they are over £1000, as mine are not too bad I wonder if new slides only may be enough and if so what paint can be used to look correct on the bodies, I assume it's the slides only that wear ? I am no expert so appreciate help please.
Thank you, Kerry.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Vic, I think he says he has a pair or pre monoblocks that need an overhaul or replacements.

I have no experience with Mk2 Amals but looking at pictures it seems they have enrichening circuits like Mikuni's, you push the little lever down and it lifts a plunger which allows extra fuel to flow into the air stream to aid starting. Maybe they are missing from yours?????

kerry

VOC Member
I like monoblocs but if fitted them it would still not be original. I may end up paying over £1000 for new correct spec but would be nice to put the originals on, bike is a Shadow and whilst I don't want complete originality carbs are a good visual asset, however maybe mine can be overhauled properly by someone, anyone know who does this work ? please.

kerry

VOC Member
OK Graham but I have had several over the years and found as per Vincent's original advice that mine have needed flooding, that said I think the originals look correct and these square looking things don't, I would still like my questions/queries answered if possible, does anyone know a restorer, could slides be sleeved, etc, or maybe someone has a newish set to sell me please

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The pre monoblock carbs when worn out tend to have beaten the two rails on the jet block considerably as well as the tracks in the slide, sleeving and new slides solves 1/2 the issue, but new jet blocks are the other 1/2, at this point new ones from Burlen are the answer. You didn't say whether they are 1 1/6 or 1 1/8 (Rapide or Shadow) they are quite different in cost, or at least they used to be.

LoneStar

VOC Member
I have Amal Mk 2's fitted on a twin and they have no tickle button so unable to flood which Vincents seem to like, also I like the look of the originals which I have but probably need an overhaul , the screws all look good with no signs of bodgers though
Can anyone recommend a company to refurb them and make a nice job, many years ago I had a pair re-bored and the slides were sleeved over with brass.
I can buy a new pair but they are over £1000, as mine are not too bad I wonder if new slides only may be enough and if so what paint can be used to look correct on the bodies, I assume it's the slides only that wear ? I am no expert so appreciate help please.
Thank you, Kerry.

I wouldn't assume the original carbs need overhaul or replacement. Clean them thoroughly, especially the tiny passages in the bodies and jet blocks. If the slides are loose in the bodies, replace them. Assemble with new washers, and see how they work.

On paint, Eastwood once made a spray paint specifically for carbs, claimed to be fuel-resistant, but it's no longer available. I just painted a pair of 276 Rapide carbs with VHT High Temperature Caliper Paint (SP735 Cast Aluminum). It's also claimed to be fuel-resistant, after curing in an oven for an hour, but I haven't tested this yet.

20220514_190442.jpg