F: Frame Help required measuring coil lengths on AVO coil over rear dampers.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For extreme potholes there should be a rubber buffer on piston rod - as typically found on other shocks. Otherwise I´d leave the AVO alone when it is allright on your favorite country roads. I´d think the damper should have min. half of total stroke left when all loads are on the bike on wheels at standstill. Or more than half ?? A harder spring that handles even extreme potholes will be way too harsh for most of the time.

Vic
Vic, I've found that the AVO is great with a standard seat set up, where a large percentage of the riders weight and all the pillion weight is carried by the seat stays directly to the RFM but it's totally different when using a fully sprung seat where all riders and pillions weight is carried by the suspension unit.

Chris.

oexing

VOC Member
So I guess you can order springs according to standard rear suspension or fully sprung ? For fine adjustments there may be a screw setting feature ? Sorry, I am not current about what is available , just thinking . . . .

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I put mine on as standard,
I think there was only one spring at the time,
And maybe a shorter one,

When I changed my Special from "D" to "C" Frame ,
And to me It feels the same as the "D",
Just had to wind the spring up a bit,
We were told not to do it up too tight, Because the the springs will coil bound ?,
I only ride on my own and the seat is fully sprung.

Can't get to it for a bit,
But I hope to get it out this Spring.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Still no actual measurements chaps. MVH any chance you could measure the length of the spring with the bike on its rear stand? That would put one constraining point on my spread sheet. If there is any chance of you sitting on it and getting another measurement. and if you let me know your weight, then that woiuld be a second constraint.
Regarding coil binding. there is about two inches of possible miovement with the preloading adjuser but, in round figures, the spring is eight inches long and will become coil bound when it has been compressed four inches. Therefor if you use up two inches of spring movement with the preload adjuster you would only have two inches of further movement before the spring was coil bound. It is considerations like this that we are trying to help others with by developing a table that can be easily inspected to optimise the spring strength for your circumstances and to allow the maximum possible movement for comfort.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well I hate numbers !,
I weigh just under 90 kg Naked !!,
But with my riding kit and my Tank Bag , Must be over 100 Kg ?.

Just checked my Spring setting, 7 3/4 " to the outside rings, Standard spring
I like it a bit soft and I have Norton Forks on the front,
This is a Special Twin.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Norman.
On rear stand no load.
Spring 7 1/8 c to c of mounting bolts 10 1/4.
Distance from seat cutout to mudguard 5 1/2.

On both wheels with me 220 pounds and 25 pounds fully geared up.
Spring 6 1/2

On wheels with me 220 pounds, gear 25 pounds and 50 pounds in top box to roughly estimate of luggage tools etc. I usually carry a tank bag when on longer rides it may come in at 20 pounds. I did not add anything for that.
Spring 6 1/4.
Distance from underside of seat cutout and mudguard 3 1/8.
I was putting about 10 pounds on the floor with my foot to stop from falling over. Not sure if that matters. MVH.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Damned marvelous.........The one and only one I have here on a Shadow I've just done some work on......I was just re adjusting up the rear spring pre load adjuster, and it went bang........The thread stripped out of the adjusting collar.......I'd just previously lubed the thread and the spring ends as well.........Oh well back to the machine shop.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just checking MVH. Was that measurement including the thickness of both top and bottom spring retainesrs, (top is 0.252 and bottom is 0.4") or just the spring itself? Thaniks