F: Frame Help required measuring coil lengths on AVO coil over rear dampers.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ed did you make the split collar yourself.......?.......I'm wondering what to do with this one I have here as the alloy collar has striped its inner thread...... Cheers.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ed did you make the split collar yourself.......?.......I'm wondering what to do with this one I have here as the alloy collar has striped its inner thread...... Cheers.
Dear Greg,
I made the collar myself but it is not threaded. I cut it out roughly to shape out of some dural plate. I split it on a centre line, drilled and tapped for two countersunk screws that hold the two parts together. I then bored a hole to a size to clamp over the existing threaded adjuster ring.
You have got me thinking now about how you fix a stripped thread? How do you remove a stripped adjuster and fit a new one? Will a new adjuster fit over the width of the welded-on mounting lug? If it doesn't how was it assembled in the first place as the threaded end of the body has a thick tube welded at right angles to the body?
My wife is not well today. I had to call out the paramedics this morning so I am not in a position to go out and do a further investigation at the moment.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Having looked at a coil over I have here either one has to make a split one with the correct internal thread or find out if the top mounting will unscrew from the damper rod I cannot see any other way of recovering the situation but AVO are very helpful and if wished I could call them by telephone.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Having looked at a coil over I have here either one has to make a split one with the correct internal thread or find out if the top mounting will unscrew from the damper rod I cannot see any other way of recovering the situation but AVO are very helpful and if wished I could call them by telephone.
The thread is cut into the body of the damper but the section at either end is of a smaller diameter than the thread so a new adjuster would go on from the top.
However, ..... I think the top mount is screwed to the piston rod and then given a bit of weld so maybe not so easy to remove. If this is correct I think it was something to do maybe with product liability if it came unscrewed, etc. I'm not sure if mine has the weld as it was an early unit that we tested before they went into production.
Probably a question better answered by AVO.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't think that you could get the adjusting ring over the bottom of the unit. Al least on the ones I have seen there is a cross tube welded on to the base of the unit to act as the lower mounting and this design allows the damper to provide more travel.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Norman. Please ask Avo about this. If a nut can be easily replace would you see if they would sell me a new nut. I do not like to think about having Greg's experience happening to the shock when going 80MPH. I am going to double nut if possible or make up a split clamp of some sort to place behind the adjusting nut.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Chaps, I have now spoken to AVO and it is not possible to put a new adjuster ring on. The top eye is welded on to the damper shaft and the only way to do it would be to dismantle the whole damper. Over here they are £200 +VAT which makes them £240. If someone overseas was to order one then they would not have to pay the VAT but I am not VAT registered and cannot reclaim VAT. They say that they have never heard of it happening before and I suggested that perhaps a stainless steel adjusting ring might be a good idea but my guess is that the numbers made are too low for any more modifications.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I must be missing something. The eye at the top of my shock looks smaller than the diameter of the threaded lower part which the adjusting nut threads on to. Has anyone got one of these Avos on the bench that they can measure?

greg brillus

VOC Member
The top cap/eye end is larger than the alloy adjusting collar.......The only way is to disassemble the shocker unit itself. This needs a special tool made with pins that locate into grooves in the top cap........I will show my machinist this morning.......If we cannot sort some kind of repair, I might send the body assembly back to AVO and get them to fix it.........probabaly best, that way they can see what has happened.........its' just time verses cost to get the shocker servicable again. Cheers.