Misc: Everything Else Headlights

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anybody use the Paul Goff LED head light Bulb ?, We don't seem to get a good cut off on the Dip Beam.
It blinds people driving on the left as well as the right !!.
To me it looks like it needs a bit of Black tape on the head light glass, Like the old days when going to France etc.
Any ideas, Many thanks. Bill.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I tried one of his halogen headlight bulbs, I had to reverse the wiring to high and low beam from how it was for the normal bulb. It failed within 30 miles and he was quite 'huffy' when I took it back to him so I've not bought anything further from him.

ossie

VOC Member
Normski I cut a half moon opposite the one on the bulb to reverse the low and high,rather that the wire change did not notice any improvement to my lights. Im only 6V.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Provided that one has a decent charging system, 12 volts, then my suggestion is change the headlight so that it will take a modern H4 bulb and use a 130/90 headlamp bulb. The difference is quite remarkable.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
130/90 ! That doesn't seem to leave much margin, even with the nominal 150 watts from an Alton.
But once you've adapted to H4, there's a wide choice of LED bulbs that could fit. Lots of BMW airhead riders are using the Native H4 LED from http://stores.advmonster.com/headlight-replacement/. It gets good reviews.

I have one of those on my Vincent but I am not quite so ecstatic about it. It is very bright and draws somewhere around 24 watts but the light temperature of LED's and the extremely sharp cutoffs bother me. Everything seems to be washed in a "Night of the Living Dead" gray hue. Depth perception seems poor. And when cresting a hill, the road just over the crest remains in full darkness until the bike levels out. I don't know if this bulb is available outside of the US.

I first tried a Paul Goff LED. My first night ride with that was nothing less than terrifying. I suppose a candle would be worse, since it would blow out in the wind. The LED stayed lit, however poorly.

Oh, I should mention that I mounted a Cibie 82440 reflector/lens in the Vincent headlight. It has the H4 mount at the back.

Still, I do use the Native H4, since I don't ride very much at all after dark. In these parts, we encounter lots of deer on the road at night. I'm trying to conserve watts for a recently-acquired heated jacket liner.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We have been given the bulb and glass, As a pair, And tried the bulb both ways up, But there is no cut off for the Dip,
Unless we have not got the wiring right ?, Most strange. Cheers Bill.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I don't think we are talking about the same bulb. As I mentioned, I did try the Paul Goff bulb and found that if pointed fairly level, the upper beam illuminated the tops of the trees. Bringing that down to level, put the lower beam very low indeed, appropriate for standard Vincent brakes perhaps. :) I do have Speet brakes, so no go there. I also contacted Paul Goff via email. He said something about adjustment. Never addressed my concern that there simply isn't enough light made by the thing. A friend of mine has the same bulb in his 1969 Triumph Bonneville. Same result. He avoids night-time riding as well, so he's OK with it. Both of these bulbs are very noticeable to oncoming traffic, so there is a benefit.

I assume the cutoff you mention regards oncoming traffic and the silly fact that not everyone rides on the right side of the road. My newer bulb/reflector/lens seem to be designed for the Continent, the US etc. That aspect is OK as far as I can tell. The bottom line for me is that if I planned to do a lot of night-time riding, I'd switch to some sort of Halogen. Mr. Timetraveller's suggestion is intriguing but I don't think my battery would stay up with that.
Cheers,
Gary

Albervin

VOC Member
I would be very wary about fitting an LED "globe" to my Vincent headlight. The standard incandescent bulb throws light in all directions but is "focussed" by the parabolic reflector. A parabola has the amazing quality of sending every photon emitted within it to the foal point and then sending the photons forward. The lens (NOT LENSE!!!!) then distributes the light in a pattern. Look at modern vehicles and they have a plain lens. The Bi-Xenon lights have internal reflective surfaces that direct the light path. I think LED units are great for the tail light and indicators but NOT for headlights.
Normski, no-one, absolutely no-one, will warranty a light globe. You may get a nice person who will replace one but they will be wearing the cost themselves.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
To me the Lens is wrong for the Bulb, Which is a long tube with downward reflectors built in.
The Dip has a V that is unlit, So that it will light up Both Kerbs !!,
If we stick on a bit of tape on the left side it would be OK in UK.
Or right hand side for France etc.
But I think a bit of tape like in the old days, Looks a bit cheap.
Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Do any of us really need a 130/90 headlamp bulb, I think they were developed for rally cars driving night sections through heavily wooded forests tracks, and by the way illegal on the public highway, also you would be wise to check your wiring and switchgear before using such a powerful bulb. I use an 8 inch Miller Shell with a BMW reflector and I think a 65/60 H4 bulb. I find it astonishingly good, but then I probably restrict my B road speed down to something like 60 MPH these days so don't need to see 1 mile ahead. In any event I think I will stay well clear of LED headlamp bulbs for the time being, maybe forever.