Misc: Everything Else Headlights

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Two things. If you fit a car alternator you can have at least two 130/90 bulbs and heated gloves, grips. trousers and even a willy warmer if you wish. Secondly, my understanding is that the 130/90 bulbs are NOT illegal provided the vehicle is over a certain age, which our bikes certainly are. I don't remember where I got this information from but sourced it when Dick Sherwin and I were developing the alternator kits. Remember that although it is correct that one needs to be sure about the wiring etc, a 130 watt bulb at 12 volts is only taking just over 10 amps, the same as a 60 watt bulb with 6 volts. The heating effect scales as the square of the current (I squared R for those who remember their school physics).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Lads, But we are getting away from the fact that we have been given this stuff to fit.
Pass me the sticky tape !!. Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Most modern vehicles with their trendy modern headlights are an absolute curse, they are far too bright, all well and good for the driver but for oncoming traffic they are near blinding. Whoever allowed these designs should be shot, if I was in control of the approval of these designs, them and a lot of pathetic tail lights would definitely not pass in my book. When converting Chevy and GMC pickup trucks here in Australia to right hand drive, we had to make the lights comply to our countries ADR's (Australian design rules) so I have some idea of what is required for these lights to pass.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Norman, I should have known better than to take you on in the technical dept, but I do stand by what I say, do we really need bulbs this powerful, if Marcus Bowden fitted two 130/90 bulbs in his twin headlamps he would not need heated gloves with heat the two bulbs would be throwing off.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Most modern vehicles with their trendy modern headlights are an absolute curse, they are far too bright, all well and good for the driver but for oncoming traffic they are near blinding. Whoever allowed these designs should be shot, if I was in control of the approval of these designs, them and a lot of pathetic tail lights would definitely not pass in my book. When converting Chevy and GMC pickup trucks here in Australia to right hand drive, we had to make the lights comply to our countries ADR's (Australian design rules) so I have some idea of what is required for these lights to pass.
Totally agree Greg, but it gets worse, wait until your cataracts kick in, then you get really dazzled!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Bill
I have played a bit with LED headlight bulbs and have never found one where the LED is in the right position to focus on the reflector. I have take the mounting plate off the bulb and moved it back and forth until the focal point is correct and the cut off beam is correct which is the problem you appear to have. I then reattached the bulb mounting plate in that position. This is not always possible on some LED bulbs.

Ordinary bulbs seem to be fairly compliant with slightly different reflector shapes, where as LED's are not.

I fitted the LED bulb to the front of the Rapide for when I took it to Italy in 2015 so I could easily run with it on in the daytime as in Italy I believe any bike over 100cc has to run with headlights on in the daytime. At night the LED just about works but I rarely if never ride at night. LED headlights appear bright to look at, but just don't seem to penetrate very far forward.

Simon

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I assume the LED headlights on HDs and Triumphs are engineered as a system and do a better job, since they satisfy the US DOT, TUV, and MOT.

nickthehod

Forum User
VOC Member
I use a rather useful but not very well known bulb that to me is the best of both worlds It is P36t R463. A hybrid crossover bulb It has the BPF fitting so fits our reflectors ( British pre focus) but has a 12v 60/55w Halogen filament with spade connectors as per later 60's and 70's vehicles. No use if still on 6v obviously but best compromise I have found so far with original reflector units.