Greg Brillus Racer

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bruce I kind of recon you might be right........Though the Horner's did build their bike very quickly with little time for any mistakes in it's build. A couple of interesting points that some might not be aware of. The reason they chose to use two coilovers on the rear is that for the shock absorbing they have one set up for bump and the other for rebound. The other very interesting thing I learnt from Barry Horner at Eastern Creak when we were racing there last year, is under the seat area they have a small pump that looks like a modern day fuel injection pump, but it is actually a vacuum pump used to scavenge the engine. Anyone who knows much about serious racing knows that creating a vacuum under the pistons helps to create power, as well as reducing engine oil leaks to near nil. This would all be knowledge they have gained through their work with Touring car racing here in Aussie and other race engines the build and test. They are very clever blokes, and I only wished that I'd had their help when I was building the racer.......Though it is help I could never have afforded.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Greg, in the recent pix of your old racer and in the above ones, I see a lower chain guard. Is it required by the rules or just seen as a good idea?

davidd

VOC Member
It is a good idea even if not required by the rules. It is often called a "shark fin" or "toe guard." I believe World Super Bike and AMA Pro Racing require them, but many smaller organizations do not.

During certain crashes the riders hands and feet can get trapped under the bike near the spinning chain and the idea of the guard is shield the rider from having useful body parts trapped or drawn into the intersection of the sprocket and chain.

I noticed Tim has one on the Comet attached to the brake torque arm.

Brake lever guards are also required by some organizations. It may seem odd, but there are a number of times that riders handlebars can come in contact with each other and when a brake lever touches another handlebar the bike often goes down. Locking bars is also a problem that caused the AMA to make brake lever guards mandatory in Pro Racing in 2013.

Both items are a good idea, but most racers will not run something until it is mandatory.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The shark fin has been an A C U requirement for quite a while now. The way I heard it, a marshal went to recover a faller, got his fingers caught, lost one in the process. Greg, the oil evacuation is more to do with drag which loses a fair bit of power. Most car engines (of mine) have windage trays to keep the oil away from the crank.When I built my twin I was thinking of moving the scavenge to the bottom of the cases, there must be half a pint sitting there behind the scraper.

Cyborg

VOC Member

davidd

VOC Member
Roy's post reminded me that the lever guards tend to prevent losing the pinky. Many of the top racers have fallen and gotten a the pinky finger trapped underneath the bar end. This can't happen easily with the lever guard not allowing you hand to slip off the bar.

Dave Roper told me that he fell down once and pulled the glove off only to find a bloody mess. When he got to the hospital the doctor asked if if he had the rest of his finger so he could sew it back on. He had a few people take a look in his glove and where he fell, but the couldn't find it.

He told me this story at a Daytona riders meeting while he was sitting next to a racer who had lost his finger the day before.
Woodcraft Guard.GIF

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
He took the air scoop grills off the front brakes to help with cooling after he was getting some fading. I think he wants to try different bars after he saw how the ones were set up on Patrick's Flash. He is happy for the rear to skid around some but was finding the front doing the same........I was never that fast nor that game.........;)

Canning

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Greg,

Yep, that’s me on the bike. You have built a wonderfully fast machine that won the Classic Unlimited event 1st outright. The International Island Classic is a very large event, and drew riders such as Jeremy McWilliams, Michael Rutter, Troy Corser, Cam Donald, Beau Beaton, Colin Edwards etc, and of course me in Classic Unlimited with the 1949 Rapide Racer built by Greg. The results over qualifying and four races were pole position, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd and a win in the final race, and 1st Outright on aggregate points.

Was really nice to have an original Vincent Twin up in first on the podium. It’s certainly been a while, and a testament to Greg’s machine building skills. The bike was flawless to ride.

Cheers, Phil

Vincent Twin 135mph Phillip Island

Have attached a video link with the bike reaching 135mph on the front straight. It sounds magnificent.