Greg Brillus Racer

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No Sorry it's not mine but when/if I see him I will ask if he can take one, I only see him occasionally at section meetings but I will see what I can do, we have one next week.

davidd

VOC Member
I'm surprised they had trouble doing you a mag for the Vincent as they do HD ones for 50degree twins.

Dave Shaw at Morris did have 50° rings, but they were built for Vincents and not Harleys. He had never done a 50° Harley from what he said. At that time he had never done a Vincent. I brought the cases down so he could mock it up and that's when he found that the head had to be in a spot that he did not like. He had to do some machining to mount it in that spot. It was not a big deal, but he put me off by saying he would make a modified one the next time he ran a batch, which would not be soon.

He was very helpful and I think if I had kept after him it would have been done. I moved away and that was the end of it.

greg brillus

VOC Member
There would not be enough of a market for them to produce a batch of even 5. The housing to fit the cases would not be a big issue, and the cam is like a distributor cam no bigger than the end of your little finger, just need to change from 180 to 205 degrees. I checked the timing on the new Joe Hunt it was out by about 4 or 5 degrees split, so I had to modify the cam anyway to get it spot on. They are a good race mag but I wouldn't bother for street engine.

davidd

VOC Member
In a great nod to Greg's hard work the Horners have agreed to look after the racer for the new owner. The photos speak for themself:

Brillus Racer Horner 1.jpg

Brillus Racer Horner 3.jpg

I think my next racer will have number 88 on it!

Congratulations to the new owner and Greg!

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks David, From what I understand, Ken Horner was saying that Com Donald wants to take both race bikes plus a Shadow that I sold to the same owner of the racer to Phillip Island for some test runs and comparisons for a magazine article he wants to do. I think it will be great to have such a good rider try out my bike and see what he thinks. The Horner's have offered to prepare the bike and get more out of it, seeing as their bike is basically retired......It is great to see two bikes that were built about the same time together, and to this date, probably the "Newest" of any Vincent twin racers in the world at present. Although I realize the Horner's bike would have more power than mine, I am keen to see what the suspension and handling are like compared to theirs, If nothing else, at least I know mine stops very well..................:).