Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

vibrac

VOC Member
The Pontcysylite Aqueduct's grout was mixed with "Ox Blood" for extra strength! If you've ever wondered why the Zoo's don't have Oxen, it's because any old milk cow in a harness is called an ox...
Bit like any vee twin in US is called a Harley
every small town we parked up a Vin twin and within 5 mins "what kind of Harley is that?"
Well at least people asked in a UK small town you would mostly be ignored....

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
In the late '60s I pulled my Norton Atlas up to a gas station in upstate New York. There was no one at the pump but a few people inside. One of them called out, "Hey, there's a motorcycle at the pump." The reply was "That's not a motorcycle, it's a Honda".

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I have traveled all over the USA on my Rapide. Not once been asked or told it was a Harley. Did have a gas station attendant insist it was a French bike when I told him it was a Vincent Rapide.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
You should have posed the question "have you never heard of the aeroplane, The De Havilland Rapide" also British!

John Cone

VOC Member
I am all in favour of electric cars, why, as yet i have not seen one electric car pulling a caravan. does that mean by 2030 we will not see any caravans on the road? I hope so.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Mar-gate is the absolutely right pronounciation
It's Mar-git, Rams-git, Etc, where I come from!
Spanish is pronounced the way it's spelled. English is totally without any such silly constraints.

In the U.S., Newark (New Jersey) is a major airport that serves the New York metropolitan area, along with La Guardia and JFK. The pronunciation of 'Newark' and 'New York' can be virtually indistinguishable to non-native English speakers, no doubt resulting in many surprised travelers every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.