Getting it running after 25 years?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Helpful Offer

From your photos, I understand your concerns. I suggest that I pick up the bike for a full inspection and assessment. Due to the planned thoroughness of my process, it might take a year or two, but you wouldn't want me to miss any details. Since you are a sincere enthusiast, all I ask is that the gas tank be full to make the leak checking procedure more expedient. :D

W.C.Machine

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I spent the day working on the Vin. Pulled the plugs (old KLG's) and tappet covers. Changed all the oils and cleaned the tank and the cock's needed new cork's. squirted some oil on top of the pistons and down the push rod tubes. The wife and I pushed it around the yard till oil was coming out of the return line (this took a while). Installed the plugs and tickled the carbs. Kicked it over about 5 times with the compression release pulled. It fired on the third attempt and ran wonderfully, WOOO HOOO. After it warmed up it idled smoothly. I then took it for a short ride around the neighborhood, clutch and shifting worked great. The brakes are kind of scary. All looks good. I am very happy. Thanks guys for the advice.

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Do spend time on the brakes. Trev's remark above is good to note. When full on the angle between the cable or rod and the brake arm should be <90 deg.

You might want to clean and regrease the wheel bearings or at least inspect them.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Must have been a very satisfying experience , wish I could have been there to share that !! Another Vincent back in action !!

W.C.Machine

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It was a great experience and one I will remember for years to come. I will be riding it to work tomorrow, about 15 miles. Hope all goes well.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
It was a great experience and one I will remember for years to come. I will be riding it to work tomorrow, about 15 miles. Hope all goes well.

Let me know the route and I'll try to find a web traffic cam to watch it on !! Look forward to the report on how it goes anyway.