• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else Gearing

nigsey

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
To me it seems the gearing on my C twin is too high for road use, requiring quite a lot of clutch slipping in 1st gear until I feel I’ve gained enough speed to fully release the clutch, I don’t find this very comfortable and I’m concerned about the wear on the clutch. Both rear sprockets have 46T and I’m wondering if it would help me if I put on a larger sprocket. Can anyone recommend a size sprocket that will improve things and if so where I can acquire one please, or should I leave it as it is?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I think it will somewhat depend what kind of riding you do.

If I leave here and say go to California, or Alberta I don't worry too much about being slightly sluggish starting off, and would much rather have cruising at a somewhat lower engine RPM. On the other hand If I had to drive in and out of Vancouver every day in traffic with a passenger that's another whole kettle of fish..... Pick what you need to do the job at hand.

Put a few thousand miles on it this summer and THEN see what you think of the gearing..... remembering that these are slow revving big torquey V twin engines.

And What is a Kettle of fish anyway? I'm originally from York (OK I left when I was about to turn 5) so should know one of the answers to that question.

erik

VOC Member
I had the same Problem with to high first gear.But after making the Timing new with the help of Vincent Speet it is now perfect.If the Timing is a Little bit wrong it can lower the low rev power of the engine.Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
Marcus
Put an electric start on the D I have one on the Road Comet with a Honda Clutch I cant quite believe that the maker managed to sidestep all that old guff about ESA and angles of dangles of the cam form by just making something a half inch across and the resources of the plastic industry chemists. But it seems to work well enough I am saving up for a lithium battery like Ian S and then I will be set
I will soon take the Sorn off the Van and the Bike will be with you. I havent ridden it and its still in storage your love of a D never infected me, I built one twin and rode it 4 miles before I sold it.

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I must say Tim my handsome, son Roberts "D" Rap does ride differently but following Camita on it in NZ for 3 k miles it never seem to alter or have faults. That "D" Comet is going to save me a lot of time looking for "D" parts to build one and Furnace & Searl knew Vincent's better than me and I do have a Lucas distributor or three.
Beautifull weather here at the moment.
bananaman.

vibrac

VOC Member
Its freezing and overcast in the East I haven't put my Garage warm gear on and I am getting near to a putting an engine in the frame task (thats something I dont do normally for us its normally hang the frame on the engine :) ) My Comet has been sitting here since October after a maintenance session, perhaps next week Boris will allow me to ride again. To further annoy the 'Bike' mag advertised (again) the wonderful road I live on and all weekend illegal noisy crutch rockets have been howling by (just going to Tesco officer) while law abiding me sat and fumed at my bench.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories