Misc: Everything Else Gearing

SteveO

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Personally I like a high geared bike. It's more restful at speed and in the real world you don't lose out on acceleration much. My Commando is geared up with a 23 tooth front sprocket which gives about 75-80 at 4000 revs and my old Guzzi has seen 60 in first when I bungled it joining a dual carriageway and didn't dare to hesitate changing up! So I'm used to high first gears and the Vincent to me was just another skill to acquire. I suppose it depends on experience, if you've only ever ridden modern bikes, the old high-geared sports machine idea takes a bit of getting used to.

nigsey

VOC Member
I know someone who didn't want to put it in 4 th for a while,
But when He got used to it He was looking for a 5 th !!.
Yep, that’s me as well, my other bike is a CBR 600 like comparing chalk and cheese to the Vincent which is how I suspected it would be but at the moment it feels like 4th isn’t needed. I know it’ll take a while to get used to it but get there I will.

nigsey

VOC Member
I think a Vincent Twin can be a bit Intimidating, When first ridden,
Maybe more so if the Carb's are not spot on ?,
I mean top speeds of 60/90/110/ and what ever you can get through the gears is pretty good !.
I have 2 Twins , One with High First and the other standard and I can't feel the difference.
I think it's a case of getting used to it and coming down the gears,
More often and quicker than on most bikes,
I remember riding my K100 BMW and then going out on my Twin and nearly running out of road !,
On a bend, Simply because I hadn't changed down enough gears .
A lot of people put a 48 rear sprocket on, Maybe if you have a lot of weight or someone on the back,
But I like the lower rev's when doing 70s 80s etc.
I must admit I have found it a tad intimidating even though I have been riding bikes of one sort or another from a very young age albeit not a bike of this size or age. Thinking about your comment re carbs and think mine might be a bit out of sinc, idling speed is definitely a bit fast, noticed that it’s driving the bike on in second when negotiating tight bends, so need to sort that out.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny , I think a 600 Honda would intimidate me, I have been in a rut for many years,
They are a 140 mph Bike ?.
But they say the throttle works both ways :D .
Getting a bit old now but often wonder about something newish and fast ish,
If I had lots of cash, I think I would go with a V Strom or Guzzi 85T, They really should make that one a 1000.
Just me Dreaming !, Something I do a lot of now :D.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
I don't know if Bill is talking about me but that was certainly my experience when I first took my 'A' Rapide out after riding an 'A' Comet for a couple of years. Pure exhilaration is the only way I can describe that first ride on a newly rebuilt 'A' twin back in the '60's ! Just living on memories now.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
That is what old age is for Ron my handsome, dreaming of by gone times and if capable still enjoy it if the occasion arises either on a smaller bike or the old big bike now it has an electric starter. Planning on putting a starter on the "D" bitza Comet I bought at the VOCSC recently Furnace & Searl produced.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Marcus, apart from the novelty factor you really do not need an electric start on the D Comet, as you know I have a similar bike with distributor coil ignition, I can start just by looking at it, almost, no effort required at all.