Sat-Navs Garmin Zumo 550 Sat-Nav

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I bought one of these in 2009, as it was capable of working equally well in the car or on the bike(s) I now have a small problem with it, but Garmin tell me (if eventually you can get through to them on the phone, 'cos of course a phone is old technology!) that they no longer support it, because it is old technology, (" European mapping is absolutely MASSIVE compared to 2009") and we don't have spares etc.

Dear Colin,
You do not specifically say what the "small problem" is with your Zumo 550. If it is a mechanical/electrical it could be that components are no longer available. If the problem is to do with software or the maps themselves there should not be a problem. Is your problem mechanical or software/maps?

I use a Zumo 660 and a friend uses a Zumo 550. The friend with the Zumo 550 has used it to navigate around France. We both have "lifetime" updates for the maps. We both get the same version of the maps. (Currently City Navigator Europe NT 2015.2 - V.18.20)

We also both use the Garmin Mapsouce programme on our computers to plot interesting routes for club runs etc. These are then transferred to the GPS unit. (Mapsource is no longer supported but the last version of the programme, V6. 16.3 works fine with any new map updates and I just don't like the newer Basecamp routing programme that Garmin does support.

If the GPS does not have enough internal memory to hold the maps they can be put onto a suitable capacity SD memory card. the 550 uses a standard SD card, the 660 a micro SD card. If your problem is with the map size and installing the maps there are a couple of links below that may help. I'm no expert but will be pleased to help if I can.

https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={0b087770-5dba-11e1-dd60-000000000000}
https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={a209e880-9319-11e2-65d0-000000000000}

P.S. Before I bought the Zumo I used a Garmin Street Pilot III. This developed a mechanical fault that Garmin fixed and posted back to me. This was 6 or 7 years ago so. I don't know if they still do repairs.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I made it very clear to Garmin that I think this is absolutely appalling, and told them I run a 1938 motorbike for which I can still get parts and "support" If everyone took the same view as Garmin (and other "hi tech" firms) we would have no copies of Magna Carta, no Da Vinci works of art, no old buildings, or antiques of any sort, and certainly no Vincents. The modern world has gone mad.

Dont be to hard on the gits "those who live by the sword shall die by the sword "
who would buy a sat nav nowadays (not that I ever did) when every mobile has one built in.
come to think of it where is my mobile? -haven't used it for at least 10 days- well it does live in my tool tray:rolleyes:

Colin

VOC Member
My mobile doesn't even have a camera let alone a satnav. ,but when it's boiler is fully steamed up it works well as a hand warmer. Luddites Rule Yeah!!!!!

vibrac

VOC Member
My mobile doesn't even have a camera let alone a satnav. ,but when it's boiler is fully steamed up it works well as a hand warmer. Luddites Rule Yeah!!!!!
Actually the real Luddites are the tech companies themselves. If the mobile companies used some of the money spent on advertising and churn of models of phone, on mobile coverage, perhaps a mobile might become worthwhile using. .In 2015 living less than 70 miles from the capital of a G5 nation and having to stand on a bed with arm in air to get a text message is a real joke. Only beaten by BT buying a mobile network when they cant even get rural broadband sorted.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dont be to hard on the gits "those who live by the sword shall die by the sword "
who would buy a sat nav nowadays (not that I ever did) when every mobile has one built in.
come to think of it where is my mobile? -haven't used it for at least 10 days- well it does live in my tool tray:rolleyes:
Dear Tim,
You are correct that it is possible to navigate using a "Smart" phone. I have done so myself and it was fine for doing a simple A to B.
Dedicated GPS devices like the Zumo 550 - 660 etc will do the same A to B route using an address or post code but they really come into their own when you want to do a complicated route that doesn't necessarily take the obvious quickest or shortest route. Using mapping software on a computer I can plot a route that misses out towns, takes a twisty road motor cycle interesting road, quiet country lanes, nice views, that little out of the way village with the nice pub, etc, etc. I can then upload that route onto the GPS. I'm not trying to sell GPS, just pointing out that is often the case there are horses for courses.

vibrac

VOC Member
I hear you Eddie. But I can do that on my Nexus 7 with an (Heck am I going to use that word:eek:) ap and also use it to watch catch up TV at home.- In my opinion dedicated Sat Navs are no longer a good buy.
Anyway I find the last mile or so to a new destination is the hardest, and a good soaking in 'street view' on my PC before leaving is worth a thousand muttered instructions on the road. That method got me without fault from the ferry in Venice to my Hotel in Mestre (an' interesting' couple of miles) without my eyes or ears leaving the road -always handy on a motorcycle in Italy. When I next go to Spain and get off at Santander this time I will use it to exit the city without a detour ( fifth time lucky:oops:)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I hear you Eddie. But I can do that on my Nexus 7 with an (Heck am I going to use that word:eek:) ap and also use it to watch catch up TV at home.- In my opinion dedicated Sat Navs are no longer a good buy.
Anyway I find the last mile or so to a new destination is the hardest, and a good soaking in 'street view' on my PC before leaving is worth a thousand muttered instructions on the road. That method got me without fault from the ferry in Venice to my Hotel in Mestre (an' interesting' couple of miles) without my eyes or ears leaving the road -always handy on a motorcycle in Italy. When I next go to Spain and get off at Santander this time I will use it to exit the city without a detour ( fifth time lucky:oops:)
Not wanting to appear pedantic but would I be right in saying that the Nexus 7 is not a mobile phone?

Colin

VOC Member
Cheers Tim. A pox on the lot of them!
Colin
Ps whilst I was ranting about Garmin they sent me a "useful" email to try a "Master Reset" I tried it, lost all my "favourites" but, miraculously my lost VOLUME was back, so it was easy to reprog. my few favourites. If it aint got a kick start I don't want to know!

vibrac

VOC Member
Not wanting to appear pedantic but would I be right in saying that the Nexus 7 is not a mobile phone?
I believe it has that capability like the i phone. But not my version as I don't have a mobile signal at home, I can only say what McIntyre said on Schofield TT record about the top speed of his Manx "That's noe a great concern of mine!"

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Because a gps uses Satellites, it works everywhere. Using a cellphone as a GPS would be fine for most or perhaps all of England, but is totally useless in the Mountainous parts of USA and Canada as there is no cellphone coverage in these huge areas, which just happen to be where all the really fine twisty challenging motorcycle roads are situated!
Glen