Sat-Navs Garmin Zumo 550 Sat-Nav

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
and then there is the problem of all the smoke leaking out of a designed-for-the-dry cellphone (or car gps) when used on a motorcycle ridden in the rain. If that doesn't kill it the vibration will!
So we are stuck for now paying big bucks for a dedicated motorcycle GPS, built to be both waterproof and vibration resistant.

Glen

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Any smartphone with a GPS receiver can work anywhere, even without a cell signal, as long as you have maps loaded on the phone so that you do not need the Internet. I use the TomTom app, so I have full maps locally on my phone, for both the U.S./Canada and also Europe (two separate TomTom apps), works great.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Steve, my 1988 analogue brick phone may not be totally up to date. How do you deal with rain and vibration potentially damaging the phone?
The waterproofing and vibration resistance are the two features that GPS companies use to justify the need for expensive "motorcycle" type GPS units.
Glen

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I keep it in my pocket :)

I was merely pointing out that the ability to receive the GPS signal does not require being within range of a cell tower.

vibrac

VOC Member
I keep it in my pocket :)

I was merely pointing out that the ability to receive the GPS signal does not require being within range of a cell tower.
Exactly, we can even get GPS in Bedfordshire:D at least its one service that hasn't been 'improved' by BT, yet!