Fuel Tank Welding

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I read somewhere that with the latest cameras and software it is possible to 'see' the surroundings of the camera at the time of the photo by close blowups of the subjects eyes - developed in the war against terrorism....

Well, If you look closely in the tank you can see me smiling because this dent repair turned out great. (Except I look fat). If you could see in my eyes you would see the reflection of my wife, who has been very supportive through this ordeal, asking if it is finally done. If you could see further into her eyes, you would see infinity.

The only really noticeable indication of damage is the small paint crack above the outline and the dot between H and R and that was there before the repair.

Ron
IMG_0044.JPG

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I don't like the look of the prospective scratch from that screw:eek:..John

That board is the base of the shipping crate. The tank is solidly fastened to it front and rear just as it is on the UFM. Don't worry, I've got it packed away in velvet right now.

nkt267

VOC Member
Gotta say though I wish I could get the dent taken out of my tank without the need for repainting..Very skilled the man that did that..John

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
While we are on tank repairs I posted some time back whether anyone knew of a lateral weld across both tank sides but did not post a photo. Here now is the picture of my tank when in pieces of the seam running both sides full length of the tank. Was it a repair or is this how they were made in the 50's? Last time round comment was no one knew.
Tank showing earlier repair.JPG

davidd

VOC Member
Tug,

I am still not sure what to say. When making a steel tank from scratch I have lots of these seams. The seams show up where I could not get enough bend in a larger piece and I had to weld two pieces together to get the total depth of the bend I wanted. I would think that a stamping would be a solid sheet and this would not have to be done, but the price of labor at the time may have made this possible using shallow dies. Very interesting.

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
$185.00 +p&p well spent IMHO; tricky job done nicely, no apparent stretch or cracked paint.

Thanks Brian, I just wish there was someone closer. The place that did the repair, Dent Dynamics, in California, sells the holding fixtures and tools to do this type of work. What he can't sell is the years of experience required, but there are enough junk tanks out there that practice would be easy to do, since all you need to make a start is a cheap or free tank, a 2x4 timber to make a dent, and some of the required tools. I know the repair was made easier due to the proximity of the filler neck to the dent. The tools used are similar to a miniature wheel or probes and balls of various materials on a long rod that can be bent to get into the dent area. The protected filler or access opening is used for leverage and many minor pushes and taps from both sides give incremental results. The technique is apparently not useable for dents that include an edge or seam, and of course if the paint is cracked or chipped there is no saving that. The construction of a Vincent tank would have made access to a dent at the right rear very difficult, but I would bet if anyone wanted to save a great paint job with an inaccessible dent, cutting an access hole in the tank bottom would have allowed a paintless repair, or at least would have had the same result as using an English wheel, and the tank could then be repainted with little or no filler. The approach of completely removing the bottom at the seams seems pretty radical, and I am not sure it could be done without slightly changing the original shape of the tank due to lost material or overcut. I hope I never have to find out.

Ron

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Gotta say though I wish I could get the dent taken out of my tank without the need for repainting..Very skilled the man that did that..John
Here in Australia we have companies named "The dent Doctor" or something similar, they usually work on cars but i had one repair a dented overhead polished stainless steel light trough with great success. :)