Front Spring Box Removal

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just back to removal and fitting for a moment - is there not a good chance that the string will slip off the flat top of the spring box?

davidd

VOC Member
YoungJohn,

If the loop is on the flat, which is on the back of the spring box, and the ratchet hook is on the front of the spring box, I have never had one slip. I have had the knot in the nylon rope slip, so make sure it is tightening as you up the pressure on the tie down.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Youngjohn,

Here is a photo with the the tie down snugged up.

100_2481.jpg

David

davidd

VOC Member
Bill,

I think this area is a tricky one and I am not an engineer. The trail goes silly as it approaches full extension. You can verify this by watching the front wheel as you let it down off a jack. The wheel rotates substantially as you start and then much less as the springs compress. If you grab the brake at or near full extension the Girdraulics seize for the simple reason that the trail has to change for the forks to move up and down. With the brake engaged it is difficult for the trail to change and correspondingly the fork cannot compress. Originally, I designed a new triple tree that changed the geometry of the Girdraulic so this would not occur. Later after studying the Brampton I realized that if I used a spring with no preload, it would bias the suspension toward compression. “Weak” and “Strong” can be confusing words with reference to springs. My springs seem to be much stronger because of the higher spring rate, 110 pounds per inch versus 50 pounds per inch for the Thorntons. However, with no preload the effective starting rate is near zero. This makes them quite compliant. The weaker Thorntons or stock springs have as much as 300 pounds of preload, so in reality they are quite difficult to compress when mounted.

David

vibrac

VOC Member

By the way, I hope Ben is recovering well from his injuries.

David[/QUOTE]

Thanks David, Yes he is Ok now I cant blame the telescopic forks or the progressive springs :) more like red mist, damp patches and 1275cc of power....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Tim, I have been trying to work out what to do with 1/2 a broom handle !! I make that about 2 feet, Answers on a £20 note!! I think you forgot the inch sign, Have Fun Bill.