Front guard on series "A"

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I asked this question on my other thread but got no response, so I'll ask again. Can someone please give me some detail as to the shape of the cut of the lower rear of the front guard on a genuine guard. It could be the same as the shape at the front, but it is hard to see in pictures because of the front stand clip. I need this info for the guy's over in Western Australia who are making up a batch of new guards for me and others. If anyone knows of anyone who needs/wants any guards now would be a good time to let me know. Many thanks and cheers for now.................Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinny

VOC Member
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
Hi Greg,

Here's the best picture I have which I believe is an original guard. I did see you were having some made. Attached is a picture of my rep guards that were made in the U.K. A few years ago.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok the guy's at Vintage steel are very busy but are expecting to make a set of guards late this month or early October, they will then post a picture of the guards on their website. That way others can look at them and see what they are like, then they will be asking for a 50 % deposit which for 8 full sets and 2 front guards will be about $4 k plus in AUD. My thoughts are that the people who are interested from oversees are best off paying for them plus organise postage to the country in which you live directly from the company in Western Australia. About half the guards will be going to the UK so it is probably best if they are all sent to one address in the UK and then distributed from there. There are about 4 complete sets for people here in Australia, 3 for me and a set to go to Melbourne. I am only aware of a front guard to go to Robert Watson in Canada, and another for Marcus (bananaman). I have spoken to David Bowen about the ones to go to the UK, and he suggested they be sent to his brother Michael's address and then collected/sent from there. Any thoughts/ideas appreciated. Cheers for now............Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Did anyone ask the spares company if they wanted to buy some for stock? I think when batches are organised like this it would be a sensible action to take and thus benefit all members in years to come.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have asked Ian directly over the phone, but the response was a bit milky.........The cost and postage seemed to be very limiting factors, I also tried to contact the bloke who does the write ups for the series "A" s for MPH and I never got a response. I am one of those guy's who only goes so far to help others, there is only so much time in the day. I have spent a great deal of time and have organised a good sized batch for now, and there is only so many who use this forum, so I don't know how else to notify others. The company can make them for others at a later date, as the cost differential for one set verses a larger batch is only 10% so not a big deal really. Perhaps you can suggest to Ian when you see him next, but you are looking at around 540 pounds plus postage for a set, but given they are special order, I think this price is not too bad. A set of accurately made Touring guards would be quite a bit more I would say.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats Ok Greg you asked that's the main thing. So often people don't, batches of low volume demand parts could be increased and prices lowered if a call was made to the company, arranging a supplier, checking the design and quality and the logistics takes up a lot of time and Ian only has so much time spare to do that for low volume items. making a decision on the financial viability for the company of increasing a batch that others arrange is fairly easy.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
For the Spares Co, I guess when you are deciding what parts to purchase, with limited funds, it's better to spend the time, money and effort on unobtanium to keep bikes running rather than on "accessories" than can be modified from currently available stock items. When all said and done no bike was ever laid up for lack of a seat or mudguard. Just my view!

Dinny

VOC Member
I think its disappointing that the spares company does not represent the A series machines better. I know there are far less surviving than the later series which are well covered by many companies. I do try to buy from the club wherever possible but series A parts are just plain difficult to locate, I'm not talking about mudguards but they could maybe consider at least engine parts and special fixings to help with rebuilds and keep existing bikes running.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Its just a numbers game, Like the Ford Mustang is the most restored car in the world, and so parts are plentiful. I agree that some parts could be made more available for the series "A" s but the numbers don't add up. Rodney Brown over here has been making parts for the A's for several years but the parts end up quite expensive due to small batch numbers, and buyers are thin on the ground. I guess it comes down to the individual people who restore these bikes being able to produce a few extra's or spares and selling them on to others who need them, just like I am trying to do. The largest hurdle is finding companies who will actually make/produce the parts for you........Do a good job, and not take forever to get it done. It is also very difficult to get accurate info on items, and I think this is for several reasons not least because there were regular changes to the machines themselves, but communicating with others who have done it before. Imagine not having this forum to share info.......It would be very difficult........But with it, I am able to restore this Comet quite quickly.