Frank Taylor 1950s - Factory Shadow Racer with 7R forks

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know this is a long shot, but, I have just been talking to a friend of mine who is restoring a 1951 Shadow which is said to have been built, by the factory, for one 'Frank Taylor' to go racing. It was said to have had 7R forks up front and a weird swinging arm arrangement. It is also said that Frank rode the bike in the IoM and at Silverstone, etc, in Surtees days in the 1950/60s. I have been googling about and can't find any reference whatsoever to said person or his machine.

The new owner is keen to find out some history but is not computer literate. Even better if a photo of the machine and rider could be found….

Does this ring any bells with anyone here?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not sure if it will help, But for years i got on well with the late Roger Haylett, East midlands, He was at all the races, A lot of the sprints and VOC rallys, He had a mate called Vic rode a 1000 Laverda, They was older than me and Vic always talked about Racing a Vin with 7R forks, Said it was timed at 140, Could this be the same bike, Sadly Vic has gone to, They always gave me a good Welcome when ever we met, Cheers Bill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Not sure if it will help, But for years i got on well with the late Roger Haylett, East midlands, He was at all the races, A lot of the sprints and VOC rallys, He had a mate called Vic rode a 1000 Laverda, They was older than me and Vic always talked about Racing a Vin with 7R forks, Said it was timed at 140, Could this be the same bike, Sadly Vic has gone to, They always gave me a good Welcome when ever we met, Cheers Bill.
Bill, you are referring to the late Vic Robinson, notorious for his high speed exploits. Could be a long standing East Midlands Section member will know more about his machines.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Bill, you are referring to the late Vic Robinson, notorious for his high speed exploits. Could be a long standing East Midlands Section member will know more about his machines.
Vic had a twin until it became too slow for him, upgraded to a Laverda, until the same thing happened, then on to a Honda Blackbird. He would go to Scotland for a day out at the races, as he never stopped anywhere overnight.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Shame on Me, I forgot his second name and the Blackbird !, I thought he slept in a tent in Scotland, Even at a late age !, Nice people, Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member

Attachments

• Frank Taylor.PNG
    Frank Taylor.PNG
    303.3 KB · Views: 69

Badabing

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi. I now own this bike and would be very interested to talk with anyone who could help regards the bikes history. It’s been perfectly restored but would love to know a little more about the original owner and if he did race the bike