FT: Frame (Twin) Foot rest driver's side right

moto8500

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am 3 months in from a total knee replacement so still early doors but at this juncture I have been on the Shadow to test what I can cope with. I can reach the handle bar and operate all the controls but the knee flection is currently too restricted to remain comfortable on the seat so to reduce the flection I need to drop the foot rest. To this end I have loosened the fixing bolt expecting the foot rest arm to drop through gravity and it doesn't. The back plate is keyed so I cannot move that up or down - so the question is how do I move the foot rest down? I am thinking of tapping the foot rest arm with a soft mallet but if it is splined onto the shaft I will only cause damage so before I do anything I need advice from someone in the know. Thanks.
shadow footrest.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
The chrome hanger is a taper fit on the alloy distance piece........a medium blow with a soft hammer will break the joint allowing the hanger to pivot to whatever angle better suits you......obviously the securing nut needs to be loosened first.......also the actual foot rests can be swapped from side to side once the pivot bolt from each is removed.......this will allow the foot piece to sit lower on account of the offset built into each foot piece......this will effectively lower each one by about a half inch or so........the gearshift and brake lever positions can be adjusted for better alignment as well........ All part of the genius that these bikes are........Cheers.

moto8500

VOC Member
Thank you Greg and greetings from London to the Gold Coast - so that's answered the question so thanks for that. I noticed the foot rests were off set but didn't know they could be swapped so thanks for that too. Knee aside I am going to be off the road for a couple of more months while these Atlantic storms plaguing Northern Europe sort themselves out. Enjoy the summer!

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I responded to your other post about knee replacements. I'd like to encourage you to keep up your flexion exercises. I did just that after my replacements and today they are nearly as flexible and the "originals". But as you say, you are in the early days.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
There are footrest pieces with more offset but I can't find them on the spares website, you could make your own.
I have made my own longer hangers from old 2nd hand Triumph kickstarts.

davidd

VOC Member
The original Fritz Egli bikes were fitted with longer footrests. I think these were designed for the passenger footrest on a stock Vincent when luggage was used. The object was to move the passenger's feet away from the panniers.

Here is a photo of my Egli:

EV4 001_edited-1.jpg

Offset Footrest.PNG

You can see how much lower the footrest rubber is from the hanger. The Egli engines were much higher in the frames than the stock Vincent, so check the ground clearance if you use them on a stock bike.

David

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a photo of the extra long cranked passenger footrests David mentions that were used when fitting the optional extra original Vincent pannier system that was available for a few years. If used on the riders footest hangers they would lower the riders feet by approx 2" which could potentially cause them to hit the ground when cornering.

Img_5028.jpeg

twobyfour

VOC Member
They look like they would also move the footrest rubber outwards away from the bike, which won't help ground clearance, either.

moto8500

VOC Member
Thank you for the replies. I did wonder if there were hanger extensions available and as Chris has pointed out it looks as if one would have to be made up but clearance will be an issue. I had an experience bottoming out a foot rest which I don't want to repeat having left one's mark in the tarmac around the harbour area of Folkestone! so I will concentrate on what Gary suggests and get the flexion working.