Fitting Mikuni carbs

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Dave, I sweated a 1/4 BSP fitting onto the standard spigot with Loctite 648. Been on for over 20 years with no problems. Cheers, Stu.View attachment 31699

I`ve got some 648 on the shelf Stu so this might be the solution, especially as yours has lasted so long.
Had been wondering if I could attach a T piece to the tap & had considered soldering but thought that might damage the seals in the tap.
If 648 works I can look at it all in a different way.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is a bit like I was saying about Mk2 Amals, With out a tickler/Flooder, You can't tell if the petrol is getting though, I now Kick over a few times with the valve lifter pulled up, Like T.T. told us.
I think when yours is running it will OK, Just a bit of an air lock till it's fired up ?.
You could test yours by disconnecting the pipe at the carb, And see if it comes through ?.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
This is a bit like I was saying about Mk2 Amals, With out a tickler/Flooder, You can't tell if the petrol is getting though, I now Kick over a few times with the valve lifter pulled up, Like T.T. told us.
I think when yours is running it will OK, Just a bit of an air lock till it's fired up ?.
You could test yours by disconnecting the pipe at the carb, And see if it comes through ?.

My mate Mick ( Derek & John Sayer`s Cousin) reckoned it would suck the petrol through, but I did wonder.
Another mate of mine had a big Acerbis tank on his BMW & his fuel filters never looked full & that was with 42 liters pressure above them so maybe I`m over thinking things.
Still going to try & get a better run on things, got to take tank off for a second go at wiring in the New Year when Speedo & Tacho turn up.
Cheers
Dave

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Hi Dave.
Maybe you woke me up a bit;
When on full throttle it holds in a bit.
Never mind what main jet i had in.
But when two taps open no problems.
But I dont do that a lot.

Guess now the swan neck does perform like the one my sink.
Not always thinking.......

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Dave, here is my idea for the fuel tap "T" piece. Have a care with "3/8" banjo bolts though, as I've found them in BSCy, UNF and 1/8 BSP. Cheers, Stu.
P1050850.JPG

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Hi Dave.
Maybe you woke me up a bit;
When on full throttle it holds in a bit.
Never mind what main jet i had in.
But when two taps open no problems.
But I dont do that a lot.

Guess now the swan neck does perform like the one my sink.
Not always thinking.......

Hi Vincent,
Sorry for disturbing your beauty sleep !
I`m intending to run on both taps & the ones I`ve fitted both have reserve position.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Hi Dave, here is my idea for the fuel tap "T" piece. Have a care with "3/8" banjo bolts though, as I've found them in BSCy, UNF and 1/8 BSP. Cheers, Stu.View attachment 31715
That`s very neat Stu, I like the way you`ve done that.
Not sure I can do the same with mine as they have barbed spigots not a threaded connection.
Was thinking of removing them from the tank & using some 648 Loctite like you suggested & attaching a metal T piece that was a tight internal fit.
Cheers
Dave