Fitting Mikuni carbs

Vince Farrell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I dont think based on the information above I would risk spending money on mikuni. (you got to admit its a bit sketchy) what sort of mikuni for a start VM ?TM? suduco? RS? The US site looks a better bet at least there is a carb selected to suit and all the jets and slides sorted is there anywhere like that in UK?

Vincent owners are hard ‘Task Masters’. Trying to answer questions isn’t
good enough, apparently answering the ones not yet asked is also
a requirement.

pifinch

Non-VOC Member
dont wish to spoil the flow, but I fitted dell'ortos from don godden as was; Perfect. They said use 34mm, angle to fit, I did, started first kick, has done ever since.

vibrac

VOC Member
Dell-ortos are still in production although they stoped making car carbs when the damm injectors and computers were forced on us when cars got too reliable and garages were running out of work :). The delorto.com & co.uk are both owned by eurocarb (webber) I suppose the factory web page is a bit harder to find This does sound like a better option I too would like to know the model....

van drenth

VOC Member
Gereedschap Thorton veren 007.jpgGereedschap Thorton veren 008.jpgI have recently Dellorto's PHBH 30 MM fitted which i did have for about 10 years on stock, came off a tuned B Black shadow with 9:1 pistons. Fitting the front carburettor was a bit tricky because at first the carb touched the rear cilinderhead and after altering the inlet manifold the bottom welding seam of the petrol tank came just in line with the choke connection, removed 5 MM from the inlet stub.
In the flanges of the manifolds i did make M5 connections for vacuum metering and the carbs can be nicely adjusted. The bike is easy to start and performs after 2100 revs very good.
Regards, van Drenth JC

Last edited:

Brian Chapman

VOC Member
hi everyone
i,m more then pleased with my 28 mm mikunis, chokes on cables, with a thin wire up the choke tubes to stop it eight stroking to heavily on starting
brian c
p.s. got a 30 mm on my comet (bigger body than 28 mm)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Dan, I have had PHF36AD carbs on my Special road bike since mid 70s, I went that way because I raced it in street class, As well as on the road. Just a road bike now.They are good carbs, But a bit big. My Brother made long alloy manifolds, there is not much room under the tank, And I use two front Cyl' Heads. Unless you are going to go for Top speed, I would put a smaller carb on, You will get a better tickover with a small one. Up till 1980 I ran 12 to one pistons on 100 type petrol, Now the petrol is not so good i only use 9 to one, I took the pump arms out of the carbs because it made them too rich. Good luck Bill.