Fitting a Lucas E3L dynamo to a model C Rapide

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sid here . I ran an E 3 L on my street Shadow for many years , still on it far as I know , used the Lucas mechanical regulator . Never a fault once set . I think Matt's Shadow runs one and a D Dist also . Super easy starter . I think I shaped a greased felt ring to seal it in place . However the primary case breathes through this joining and must not be a 100 percent seal to allow this .

mercurycrest

VOC Member
lucas gen 003.jpglucas gen 004.jpg

Take the front end bell off the Miller and put it on the Lucas. While you're at it toss away the bearing keeper and it's two flat headed screws, that eventually back out and cut the armature windings, and put in a nice sealed bearing.
Cheers, John

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the parts diagram. So far as I can tell, I have all of the parts shown in the diagram. I have attached a picture of what I have and my parts look identical to the diagram you provided. Hence I don't understand why it won't fit.

lucas parts.jpg

dont you need the D series parts to adapt this Lucas E3L?
I am just guessing, but it looks practical.
PR24/2 is listed as Lucas E3L

View attachment 1640

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member
View attachment 1641View attachment 1642

Take the front end bell off the Miller and put it on the Lucas. While you're at it toss away the bearing keeper and it's two flat headed screws, that eventually back out and cut the armature windings, and put in a nice sealed bearing.
Cheers, John

Thanks John,
I think that the Miller front end on the Lucas would work. I can also modify my Lucas and make it work. What I am trying to find out is there an "unmodified" Lucas configuration (as used on the D) that will fit the C?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
if you have the correct E 3L dynamo that fits the seris D, then it will fit the seris c. The trouble is the many diferent models of E3l dynamos that were made. If you refer to Paul Goffs web site , you will find that he lists four different types of armature for E 3L dynamos. If I remember correctly the one that i had fitted to my twin, had a parrallel shaft that was drilled and tapped for the mounting bolt, it allso required an adapter to mount the sprocket on.
I will some time to day se if I can find my old E3L, and see if there is a lucas number on the case.
in the mean time greetings to every body in the Vincent world , and have a good christmass.
stumpy lord.

van drenth

VOC Member
i have the same arrangement on mine black Shadow and it works over 20 year now without any problem.
Regards, van Drenth JC

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
If I remember correctly < when I fitted the Lucas dynamo to my twin, I found that the conical adapter did not fit the cranckase correctly [[[to much meat in the cases in that position} and was therfore discarded. I allso removed the bearing keeper from off the e3L dynamo, and fitted the dynamo flush with the cranckase sealing the two with a thin bead of dragon snot ,I have never had any problem with the engine breathing through the dynamo mount. You may find that with thoes two parts discarde that the dynamo will penetrate far ennough into the crankcases to allow every thing to line up correctly.
stumpy lord. AQUOTE=54crapide;38917]Thanks John,
I think that the Miller front end on the Lucas would work. I can also modify my Lucas and make it work. What I am trying to find out is there an "unmodified" Lucas configuration (as used on the D) that will fit the C?[/QUOTE]

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member
If I remember correctly < when I fitted the Lucas dynamo to my twin, I found that the conical adapter did not fit the cranckase correctly [[[to much meat in the cases in that position} and was therfore discarded. I allso removed the bearing keeper from off the e3L dynamo, and fitted the dynamo flush with the cranckase sealing the two with a thin bead of dragon snot ,I have never had any problem with the engine breathing through the dynamo mount. You may find that with thoes two parts discarde that the dynamo will penetrate far ennough into the crankcases to allow every thing to line up correctly.
stumpy lord. AQUOTE=54crapide;38917]Thanks John,
I think that the Miller front end on the Lucas would work. I can also modify my Lucas and make it work. What I am trying to find out is there an "unmodified" Lucas configuration (as used on the D) that will fit the C?
[/QUOTE]
Thanks - As you suggest, if I remove the bearing retainer(and add some spacers behind the PD33) I can come up with a workable arrangement.However I was hoping someone knew what the correct (as used for the D)configuration was so that I did not have to do "modifications"'

craig

VOC Member
I would agree, you have not had the right advice from this forum thread from someone who understands the problem. It seems you need the physical dimensions of the drive end of an appropriate E3L.
I see advice on carving material off the PD32, but no one has commented on this exactly. Good luck with forum advice.
KTBPage119.jpg