Fitting a Lucas E3L dynamo to a model C Rapide

D

Deleted member 1085

Thanks for the parts diagram. So far as I can tell, I have all of the parts shown in the diagram. I have attached a picture of what I have and my parts look identical to the diagram you provided. Hence I don't understand why it won't fit.

View attachment 1644
I have just read the thread and also fitted an E3L on my B. I did not use the tapered spacer shown next to the dynamo in the photo. I machined a parallel spacer, thick washer, to set the drive sprocket in the correct position. The main problem I found was the setting the clearance between the back of the oil spinner and the "top hat" which was bonded in to the case. It all went together, just. I have been told there is no need to "seal" the spacer to case. The only time I ran like this, too much oil came out. Always "sealed" it since. Just my experience. Not sure what, if any difference there is between a B and later castings in that area of the spacer.
Keith

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is another problem area on a Vincent HRD. Even with the standard Miller generator, let alone an adaptation, there is usually much fettling to be done here. As with Keith above I too seal this area as I also have had copious amounts of oil exit here. Put the generator in place hard up against the drive housing. Fit the slinger and drive sprocket. If the sprocket is too far to the left then you can slide the generator away to line it up. If the sprocket is too far to the right then you will have to machine up adapters or spacers to centralise the sprocket in the center of the middle run of the chain. Not rocket science.

Phelps.

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member
Without the PD32 adapter, with a modified bearing retainer and some spacers behind the PD33 adapter I was able to get the generator to fit well. I have now ridden the bike with the Lucas fitted and it does seem to do better than the Miller did.

modified bearing retainer.jpg
Modified bearing retainer

lucas front.jpg
Standard bearing retainer

D

Deleted member 1085

Without the PD32 adapter, with a modified bearing retainer and some spacers behind the PD33 adapter I was able to get the generator to fit well. I have now ridden the bike with the Lucas fitted and it does seem to do better than the Miller did.

What were you hoping to achieve? I understand the Lucas produces a few more watts compared to the Miller in use so will help to keep the battery topped up more readily. The major issue under "normal" loads, as I understand it, is the output at lower revs, ie low speed town riding with lights on. If you have a magneto it's less of an issue than using coil set up etc.

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member

What were you hoping to achieve? I understand the Lucas produces a few more watts compared to the Miller in use so will help to keep the battery topped up more readily. The major issue under "normal" loads, as I understand it, is the output at lower revs, ie low speed town riding with lights on. If you have a magneto it's less of an issue than using coil set up etc.

"What were you hoping to achieve?" - What I was hoping to achieve was a reliable working generator.

My Miller generator has worked well for many years/miles but recently quit as the result of water damage. I already had the Lucas and thought it was a simple substitution. I have a magneto ignition but here it is a legal requirement that a motorcycle has a lit headlight at all times - hence if you want to ride further than a charged battery will last, a working generator is mandatory.

deejay499

VOC Member
A Halogen side light bulb which lights up the inside of the headlamp is a big help for driving around town and bright enough to look like the headlight is on. Worth considering on Miller or Lucas electrics.

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Before I got my Alton and was fighting the reliability of my Lucas, I wired my low beam lead to the pilot bulb in my Hella reflector unit to keep the law happy. Since then I got a bulb as Dave mentioned from http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm It is very bright, just isn't at the focal point for actually lighting the road.

greg brillus

VOC Member
When it comes to the difference between the Miller and Lucas genny units, both when in good working condition are fine for normal riding, provided the battery is in a good....charged condition, and not left for six months...then expect the poor old genny to work it's guts out trying to top up the battery as well as run headlights and so on.....this a very common problem on all older machinery if not used regularly. The two main benefits of the Lucas over the Miller are that the Lucas is far more common, and therefor easier to find parts for, and second is the Lucas has a much bigger commutator and brushes....If you run a Miller on the test rig and load it up so it's output is near enough to 8 amps, when looking at the commutator and brushes, they resemble an arc welder....!! If the same test is carried out on the Lucas unit, the results are less spectacular...due to the better load carrying characteristics of the larger comm/brushes. So even though the units are rated at the same output, the Lucas wins because of these better features. If a continually high load is put on these generators, the excess heat generated at the commutator will melt the solder attaching the windings to the comm segments, which will throw the wires out centrifically, and render the genny useless. ......Cheers.....Greg.