First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To my mind, the plug-shorting method of balancing the carbs is better. No ports in manifolds are needed but more to the point, it's more direct. Balancing vacuum is just that. Balancing via the plug balances power output, which is what we are after.

J

Josh Smith

The timing cover gasket on my Rapide desperately needs replacing too.

I have the gasket sitting in the workshop looking at me, but I just can’t seem to find the time to do it.

With Josh now away at Uni’ and not able to nag me any more, I fear it may not get done until he gets home at Christmas!
I’m sure there’s space for me to do that in the flat I’m staying in ;).

With reference to Bob’s Rapide, for one, I am very much looking forward to eventually riding a ‘proper’ Vincent in January (i.e. one that isn’t 98cc!).

Purely based on riding pillion on a Vincent since I was 6; given the choice of a more modern bike and a Vincent for comfort, a modern bike wins with flying colours. For pleasure, character and uniqueness however, a Vin is your best friend. A Rapide is still a very useable bike even in 2021, great for motorways and faster-paced rides but still just fine in slower traffic (albeit slightly frustrating in stop-start traffic).

Josh

timetraveller

VOC Member
This is the gadget I was talking about Still available from eBay for just over £18 and nothing to go wrong. One does not need to make extra holes in anything.
1632992739476.png

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Marcus, if you have any queries about its use once you have it please ask. I used to use one a lot on the E type. I could not synchronise the three carbs any other way.