First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With regards to balancing the carbs. I find one of the vacuum measuring devices very useful. They are very cheap and I bought mine fortyish years ago for balancing the three carb on an 'E' type engine. You do not have to balance the carbs at tick over and can check the synchronisation all the way up the rev range.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have always found the best way of balancing carbs, especially on V-twins is with proper carb balancers I have vacuum take-offs and use a Carbtune, dial vacuum gauges are too sensitive for the big slow pulses.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
…and more frustration. I just purchased 2 of the very nice Vokes air filters from the club, which screw directly on to the carbs…however, the air filter for the front carb requires the float bowl to be rotated to the front of the carb, thereby blocking access to the carb adjustment screws. The rear carb has an identical situation.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
When they first came out I lusted after a Triumph Trident, but the price was far out of reach of my student stipend. However, twenty years later it occurred to me that I was now in a position to buy one, so I did. I equipped it with a Rita ignition system so it started and ran reliably, and I covered a lot of miles on that bike.

I got a Ducati 900SS a few years after the Trident and the Ducati was the natural choice anytime I wanted to go fast or cover distances, and my much lighter Triumph 500 was the natural choice when I wanted to ride across town or on dirt roads. Together those two bikes did everything the Trident did, but did them better, so the Venn diagram of the Ducati's and Triumph 500's capabilities left no room for the Trident. Plus, the Trident is a pig at anything under 5 mph. I still have it, but I haven't ridden it for 20 years. Why would I, when I'm lucky enough to have others that I enjoy riding more?

Not to get too academic, but a sociologist would consider a motorcycle a 'multivocal signifier' since it represents more than one thing (e.g. danger, fun and freedom) as well as speaks to more than one of our senses (e.g. sight, sound and touch). This means riding isn't the only reason for keeping a bike. My Bultaco Metralla has been in five art museum exhibitions, which transformed it for me from a motorcycle into an art object. I keep it because it brings me enjoyment for that reason. I mean, how many people own a piece of art that has been on display in several international art museums?

I have a large garage so letting the Trident gather dust keeps my options open. Knowing that I could ride it if I wanted to, even though I'm unlikely ever to want to, is reason enough for me to keep it.

Which brings us to Bazlerker's Rapide. Just because he doesn't enjoy riding it anymore is no reason to necessarily sell it. Just having it sitting in the garage might bring back fond memories of him riding pillion with his father, or of taking long trips himself, or of working on it back when he enjoyed working on it. I realize this is heresy for a number of Vincent owners, but riding is only one reason for owning a Vincent. For some people it may be by far the most important reason, but for others it is only one of several completely-valid reasons.

If I were to advise Bazlerker (which is what I'm about to do), I'd advise him to sit on the idea of selling it until spring. It's September, so already the tundra is frozen in his back yard, which means only insane people (or Canadians...) would consider buying a motorcycle now, anyway. If by spring he still wants to sell it, then sell it.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
When they first came out I lusted after a Triumph Trident, but the price was far out of reach of my student stipend. However, twenty years later it occurred to me that I was now in a position to buy one, so I did. I equipped it with a Rita ignition system so it started and ran reliably, and I covered a lot of miles on that bike.

I got a Ducati 900SS a few years after the Trident and the Ducati was the natural choice anytime I wanted to go fast or cover distances, and my much lighter Triumph 500 was the natural choice when I wanted to ride across town or on dirt roads. Together those two bikes did everything the Trident did, but did them better, so the Venn diagram of the Ducati's and Triumph 500's capabilities left no room for the Trident. Plus, the Trident is a pig at anything under 5 mph. I still have it, but I haven't ridden it for 20 years. Why would I, when I'm lucky enough to have others that I enjoy riding more?

Not to get too academic, but a sociologist would consider a motorcycle a 'multivocal signifier' since it represents more than one thing (e.g. danger, fun and freedom) as well as speaks to more than one of our senses (e.g. sight, sound and touch). This means riding isn't the only reason for keeping a bike. My Bultaco Metralla has been in five art museum exhibitions, which transformed it for me from a motorcycle into an art object. I keep it because it brings me enjoyment for that reason. I mean, how many people own a piece of art that has been on display in several international art museums?

I have a large garage so letting the Trident gather dust keeps my options open. Knowing that I could ride it if I wanted to, even though I'm unlikely ever to want to, is reason enough for me to keep it.

Which brings us to Bazlerker's Rapide. Just because he doesn't enjoy riding it anymore is no reason to necessarily sell it. Just having it sitting in the garage might bring back fond memories of him riding pillion with his father, or of taking long trips himself, or of working on it back when he enjoyed working on it. I realize this is heresy for a number of Vincent owners, but riding is only one reason for owning a Vincent. For some people it may be by far the most important reason, but for others it is only one of several completely-valid reasons.

If I were to advise Bazlerker (which is what I'm about to do), I'd advise him to sit on the idea of selling it until spring. It's September, so already the tundra is frozen in his back yard, which means only insane people (or Canadians...) would consider buying a motorcycle now, anyway. If by spring he still wants to sell it, then sell it.
Probably good advice, since right now I am so frustrated with the bloody thing.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
With regards to balancing the carbs. I find one of the vacuum measuring devices very useful. They are very cheap and I bought mine fortyish years ago for balancing the three carb on an 'E' type engine. You do not have to balance the carbs at tick over and can check the synchronisation all the way up the rev range.
No vacuum ports on 276 carbs