Fiberglass mag cowl

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone make them? I really don't want to cut up my original for manual advance magneto cable and adjuster clearance when I finally get the mag sorted and on the B Rapide. I know I can get a polished reproduction in alloy from VOC Spares, but I was hoping a fiberglass copy might be less dear.

Ron

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I think that Minivin was selling one a couple of months back, I may see him this weekend and if I remember I will ask it it is still available.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I think that Minivin was selling one a couple of months back, I may see him this weekend and if I remember I will ask it it is still available.

That would be very nice of you. thanks. If it is gone, maybe he knows where the tooling is now.

Ron

timetraveller

VOC Member
Its not just the tooling that is required. Phil Primmer was a very good laminator. I have, not for sale, one of Phil's fibreglass mag cowls and it would not be too difficult to make a mould from it. However, it would require a great deal of skill and patience to make the cowl and for a one off it would not be worth the pain and suffering involved. I doubt that I have the skills to make one so you need to find a very good laminator even if you can find the tooling.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Too late Jim. I bought it to cut around my starter motor and it is now fitted on my Comet. It wouldn't have fit on Ron's twin. I have what is probably the original wider one, on Phil's old Shadow, so I can confirm all that Mr Traveller says.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Well, that's the information I needed, so thanks all. I appreciate the fact that these don't just fall out of the mold looking good, and that doing one from scratch would not be worth it. I'll pursue some other options then.

Ron

b'knighted

VOC Member
You could make a composite with a moulded GRP front skin held to aluminium block brackets with countersunk screws.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ron, I am sure you could make one out of thin steel, Like a "D" Only "C" shape, Maybe chrome it , To do mine I cut a slot out of the Ali one and kept the bit, If I wanted to weld it back in at a later date. Cheers Bill.