FF35 felt seal replacement

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK Update. I have just fitted the sample quad ring to the steering head on the ex-Cecil Mills bike. This is the same type of steering head as the one I tested it out on and It is exactly the same JE Steering head. It is clear that the quad ring is more compressed than the head lug I measured and tried it out on. It still turns freely but before I waste anyone's time and money are any of you going to fit one fairly soon? I would rather have wasted my money rather than anyone else's. So if there is someone out there who is likely to fit this in the next week or two and can give feedback then that would be helpful. The twenty ordered arrived about mid day so I have them here. I cannot tell at the moment whether this is a case of non standard Vincent sizes or not. If it is then it might explain why some people who fit the JE steering stem find that the wheel comes back a long way and can hit the front cylinder and with other bikes nothing like that happens.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Mine's a long way off fitting a quad ring.

But for info, I did fit a well-greased O-Ring to the Series A, a while ago, with a tiny bit of compression. It split while moving the bike around in the garage! It seems they're not designed for that kind of shear load.

Just saying.

Peter B

Robert Watson

VOC Member
On all the front ends I have put together I have assembled them and done some fancy measuring and made a spacer from UHMW plastic that is just a few thou more than the gap, and then assembled so there is just a bit of crush on that bit. I have not found any steering inhibiting drag from this, and sorry I took no pictures. I think I have done about 5 or 6 like this

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Mine's a long way off fitting a quad ring.

But for info, I did fit a well-greased O-Ring to the Series A, a while ago, with a tiny bit of compression. It split while moving the bike around in the garage! It seems they're not designed for that kind of shear load.

Just saying.

Peter B

I thought that would also happen with nitrile cord superglued together, but I think Norman''s rings will be stronger. I think home made o rings will only work under static compression. Bring in movement and it is a different ball game.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I thought that would also happen with nitrile cord superglued together, but I think Norman''s rings will be stronger. I think home made o rings will only work under static compression. Bring in movement and it is a different ball game.

I have a confession to make. When I installed the Walker/JE steering stem mod, I got everything together without the felt washer! Damn! Since I do experience bouts of laziness, I racked my brain for a solution short of tearing everything down again. Some day, I may add plug-in connectors for all the headlight wiring but no that day.

I did have one of those make-it-yourself O-ring kits. So. I did some careful measurements, cut a piece of the right-sized O-ring, wrapped it around the stem and glued it together. It's been there for over 6,000 miles so far.

I think Norman's X-ring is better. Maybe when I do the plug-in connector job...

Gary
Oring.jpg