FF35 felt seal replacement

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was recently searching for an 'o' ring replacement for the felt seal, FF35, used to seal the bottom of the steering head. I know that some people have use 'o' rings with success but I thought that an 'x' ring might make a better seal. I found one. They are called 'quad rings' and the one supplied as a test piece is a good fit on the 2" diameter part of the steering head and has about a forty thou nip on compression. That might sound like a lot but note that top, bottom and both inside and outside faces are hollowed to produce a nice wiping edge. They will be a few tens of pence each depending upon how many I order. If anyone would like one, or more, contact me on enw07@btinternet.com and I will place an order. Postage will be extra.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Assuming we're talking "post-war Vincents", this thread will need moving accordingly, please Mr Moderator.
Peter B

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Vincent it is QR4329-NBR Quad Ring and yes it is for post war Vincents. Sorry Mr Moderator! I have tried it on cup and cone bearings with a standard and JE steering head and it will fit some taper roller bearing conversions but not necessarily all.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Be aware that any drag on the steering will make the front end feel like your stuck in a tram track especially at low speed.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks for the warning Greg. Just to put peoples minds at rest I just did a little test. I assembled the steering stem in the housing with the whole lot upside down in a heavy duty vice with only four balls in the top cup and cone bearing. The seal was put in with no lubrications and then, pressing down as hard as possible, I rotated the steering head. I could feel that it was in there but the resistance to rotation was so low that I do not believe that it can cause any problems. I will attach a photograph to illustrate to people not familiar with this type of seal what it looks like. All four faces are hollow so that there is only a thin wiping area on any one face. On the bike, of course, lubrication would be present so any resistance to turning should be even less.
1594886186230.png

Albervin

VOC Member
Neal Videan supplies O rings to replace the felt. These are very cheap so how is the price comparison and the advantages? Once fitted it would be a real PITA to replace.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK This is not a competition on price so they are going to cost me £1.25 each, possibly plus tax and postage. I suppose that an 'o' ring would be cheaper but I rather thought that having two separate sealing surfaces both top and bottom might be an advantage over an 'o' ring which only has one sealing surface top and bottom. I have ordered twenty as enough people have said that they would like them so that means that over half will go at once. Certainly I am not advocating that anyone takes their bike apart to fit these but if you need a new seal there and are doing the job anyway this is a further option

highbury731

VOC Member
Hi Norman
I just tried your email address, and it bounced back, twice.
Can you send me one of the X-rings and a pair of springs to suit the JE stem and ball bearing lower link - I think that means 36lb springs.
Paul

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
No problem Paul. Just remind me what you weigh. If you are up about the 17 -18 stone mark, or heavier, then you will need the 45s. The email address should work. Lot of others have arrived today. enw07@btinternet.com Make sure that is a zero, not a letter 'O'