H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Ferodo AM4 Brake Linings

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Need to get the front and back shoes relined. I have a couple of old sets of AM4 linings and wasn't sure if they contained asbestos or if they'd be suitable for road use?

Thanks, Eddie

Ferodo VR/2 AM4 - Set of 4

20220915_223527.jpg

Ferodo BVR/2/1 AM4 - Set of 4

20220915_223734.jpg

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
By coincidence, I was reading an article in an early 1990s 'Classic Bike' about brake linings. At that time, AM4 was being replaced by asbestos-free compounds - it was clear that it did contain asbestos.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
My entire working life was spent around asbestos products and I can't remember anyone getting asbestosis. Treat it with respect like you would a sharp knife and you'll be fine. AM4 is a great lining but, I highly recommend you don't sniff a line of it's dust up your nose... ;-)

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I agree with David, I spent a great deal of my younger days maintaining mine, and other peoples vehicles, even started a small business as a mobile servicing mechanic, gaily brushing asbestos dust out of brake drums and bell housings, along with washing dirty components with leaded petrol, with bare hands, and then working in the printing trade, using Methyl Ethyl Keytone on a daily basis, I shudder to think what I have subjected my poor body to, the good news (for me) is that I am still here at 73, feeling OK at the moment, fingers well and truly crossed.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Yes agree Peter, do not carry out any invasive works no drilling grinding or filing.
Best policy is not to bother using them best place for them is back in the ground from were they came from.
Better safe linings are available.

As part of our business we are and have been licensed to remove asbestos for some 20 plus years, so we hear all the horror stories of folks forty plus years on from working with the fibre suddenly dying from the effects or suffering terribly for years.

Ferodo factory was in Belfast we used to take all kinds of plates and brake shoes to be re-lined there, service counter was on the Ormeau Road in the city.
There are no surviving workers from the factory about now... wonder why.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There was big signs about this in my Doctors,
I said I think I have it, Worked with this stuff for years !,
He said " Let me know how you get on with it ",
Bloody Useless !.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Bill, the problem for the Doctors is there is absolutely nothing they can do for you if you do have Mesothelioma, so perhaps more a case of Bloody Helpless as opposed to Bloody Useless.