Factory people

alan wright

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bonjour Len, the museum borrowed my Shadowised Rapide for their Vincent exhibition in 1990 and when it was over the curator, Maggie Appleton gave me all the photos etc including this one ( see attachment).
I understand Henry Pennington was killed on road test on the Watford by-pass but when I asked Norman Peach what Henry was doing there he said "you could go where you liked as long as you did 50 miles on a single and 100 on a twin. Most of us preferred the A1 Great North Road."
Norman also told me that each tester had his own speedo, battery, fuel tank and exhaust system because the dealers did not want machines with "miles on the clock, acid in the battery, marks on the tank or blue pipes"
I asked who got the best bikes and, without hesitation, he said "Jack Surtees, he would send them straight back if they had a speck of dust on them !!"
I then said "Who got the clattery ones and, again without hesitation, he said "the Argentinians !!" I'll never know if this was true or if he was just winding me up as he had just ridden my B Rapide.....Peron's Revenge !!

Attachments

• scan0065.pdf
    814.1 KB · Views: 84

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Alan I was there helping Bob Culver to put the Strang 500 Racing car in the Museum, if you remember we had to put the car on its side to get it through the 2 doors, Yes there was an old Vincent factory Guy there Freddie Dunn lived at Walkern ex service dept left in 1971 when to Letchworth Bacon Factory with Dennis Burdett Coutes ( nick name Dirty Dennis raced a stock car), his mother lived in the House next to (The Hermet of Redcoat ) Ted Hampshire Lodged there during the week Ted lived in Oxford went home week ends

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Henry Pinnington Vincent Tester was killed on the Watford by-pass, a Austin A40 driven by a Doctor came out of a side turning straight in front of him, the wreck of the 1950 Shadow was bought by Ted Davis and thats where his Vincent racing sidecar outfit came from

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Photo, right to left John Surtees, Dave Ratty Vincent truck driver, Jack Lazenby, Bill Bruce, Danny Thomas, dont know lady or the other fellow Commer petrol Truck, if you see a photo of a Black Prince with a guy and lady on the pillion thats Joan Scott, the guy John Clark Vincent manager

Daimog

Non-VOC Member
For David Bowen, Teds Lightnings

index.php

index.php

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, bottom photo Daimog's Dad, Danny Thomas at Brands Hatch 1981 sitting on Ted Davis Lightning at the John Surtees Day. Top photo, Cromer Mill, Ted Davis home, 1950 me sixteen on Teds Flash, Danny on Teds HRD Lightning and Annie, Ted's daughter on the far right. Annie still lives in Hertfordshire not far from Stevenage.

Last edited by a moderator: