Misc: Carburettors Fabricating New Cables for MkI 928 With Amal 313 Dual Throttle

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If when you turn the bars it moves the slides you either don't have long enough cables or they are badly routed, at no time should this happen and I think it would be an MOT failure in the UK.
You certainly shouldn't need 1/8" slack in the inner to compensate for this, you are just masking the problem.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I drilled these with same diameter drill as cable but with some thin tin clamped between so that once the tin was removed there was a small amount of nip to hold the cable. (& yes the drill may wander but does that matter?) It helps a lot to drill a hole in the punch end which the cable will insert into.
F47274F5-02C3-4F80-BB28-88CA9814C7DA.jpeg
7B976634-E1C3-4B2F-BD96-7606429C7A78.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
My drill bit wandered to the point where I was surprised it didn’t break. The banana shaped hole doesn’t cause any problems with the tools function, I just need to make sure the cable is following the curve and doesn’t get pinched… but it it does bug me every time I look at it. I did eventually figure out that a hole in the end of the punch produces a tidy birds nest. Could be that the bit was dull or damaged.
Wish I’d made the thing years ago.

vibrac

VOC Member
I will never use those little tins of paste flux again after trying this stuff.

I was trying to see (in that video) if the slots for the cables are round… as in drilled. I used a drill and ended up with a banana shaped hole. Necr time… assuming there is a next time, I would be tempted to mill V notches on either side and just drill the countersink for the drift.

View attachment 58295
Harris stay Clean
We really should start a thread "good stuff you cant get in UK"
ebay say 'cant ship to UK '
I would never buy from amazon anyway but I peeked and even that money sucking bohemouth says "not available"
When will we get a Harbour Freight in the UK?