Exhaust

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What a top job !, He offered me a ride , Years ago, But I thought if it goes Bang I would have to sell the House !! Cheers, Bill. P.S. Following Highbury's thread, i.e. youtube, At the end it went to other youtubes, And there was a nice one of Roy starting it up at I think Brighton, Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I spent a long day on Wednesday final welding then polishing the pipes. As always when grinding and polishing, it was a filthy task for a clean result.
The previous day was spent fitting these 41 mm Dellorto pumpers. By adding 1 1/4" long extensions to the provided stubs and milling new angles on the head flanges, the carbs tucked in nicely, no tank notch required. When building the tank I put a considerable upward twist on the tank floor in the area right above the front carb This gave about an extra inch of vertical height for the front carb, just enough.
Some of the rear cylinder fins were pared back to allow the front carb to fit.
Glen

Attachments

• 20140702_092915-1.jpg
    20140702_092915-1.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20140709_200420-1.jpg
    20140709_200420-1.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 86

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Yesterday was start up day and it went well. The engine fired first kick and started on the second kick. It takes quite an effort to kick the engine thru, the only way is to use the decompressor to ease it just thru compression on the front cylinder then give it a mighty kick with no decompressor. The long space before compression on the rear cylinder is usually enough to get it to go thru. Luckily, with the extra hot Pazon ignition, it takes very little crank speed to start. It generally starts in one kick, provided it rolls over and doesn,t just bounce back on compression.
The power is phenomenal, even with the rev limiter set to 5,000 rpm for break in.
It has a nice solid but cammy idle right at 1,000 rpm. The throttle response is very quick, maybe a function of the Dellorto accelerator pump type carbs?
Glen